Chapter 17

Hanabi's pov~

I hadn't thought that traveling with the self proclaimed Team Taka would
be so bad. I'd even been foolish enough to expect them to be cool professionals, with drive and composure.

Turns out I could be wrong more than once.

We had only been traveling together a few miles and I was already going crazy. Juugo wasn't bad, but Karin and Suigetsu argued constantly about this or that. Their whines were enough to cause waves of murderous anger pulsing through me. If I had it my way, I would've run them both through in an instant. But I wasn't that stupid. Suigetsu and Karin weren't exactly weak, and I wasn't interested in pissing off Uchiha either. It was just more trouble than it was worth.

But that didn't mean that I wasn't pissed still.

I grit my teeth, tossing my hair our of my eyes. The humid bog we'd been forcing our way through did little to help with my mood, in fact it made it all the worse. I tried my best to tune out the whining of the mosquitoes, hoping to keep my ever rising anger in check. It didn't help that Karin made sure to be as obnoxious as possible; constantly hanging on Sasuke's arm, complaining about stuff he obviously would fix if he could. Or if it wasn't that, it was going on about how much she loved him. It was pathetic really.

"You know, Sasuke-kun." Karin intertwined her fingers with Sasuke's. "We don't really need the Hyūga...are you sure we should even bother bringing her along? It's not as though she's exactly adding anything to the group."

"Get off of me." The Uchiha grit out, shoving Karin away. "I've already told you. She is staying. If she gets bothersome I'll simply kill her. It's none of your damn business."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Karin was obviously willing to do just about anything to make sure she had Sasuke's attention to herself and herself only. She was no better than the rest of the pathetic fangirls back in Konaha. But it didn't matter. Sasuke's affections had nothing to do with my end goal. If anything, I was using him just as much as he was using me. Karin can have him for all I care.

I was ready to use them and be rid of them already. But I had to be patient. Which really wasn't my best virtue, but I'd have to try. And for now, Team Taka was safety, even if they were annoying safety.

My fingers twitched at my kunai pouch, every ounce of my self-control devoted into keeping me from slinging a blade into Karin's chest. Calm yourself Hanabi....you can't kill her yet, even if you really really want to.........

Suddenly, a bright pair of flaming red eyes shot to me, boring a hole in my soul as my eyes met his. Sasuke held my gaze for a moment, his eyes giving away that he could tell. That he could smell the murderous intent under my skin. But as quickly as his gaze had shot to me, it slid away again.

My heart started beating again as I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. It was strange, considering that I was an ANBU, had once been a member of an elite team of assasins who feared nothing. Emotion replaced with an infinite void. But there was something about the way he looked at me.....I was beginning to feel things I hadn't in a very long time. It's not just fear...it's something else as well...I just can't put my finger on it...

I was lying to myself and I knew it. I knew exactly the kind of stirring in my chest that had aroused when Sasuke had turned his gaze upon me. Searing my very soul like hellfire. Even so, I wasn't going to admit it. No way in hell.

I wouldn't allow myself such luxury or torture. Not ever, not with anyone. And especially not with Uchiha.

It was just too impossible.