Cursed Demon in the Sky

Dipper lounged on his bed, scribbling some notes in the Journal. He'd been neglecting keeping up with his newer entries recently, on account of his attempts to spend time with Wendy. While he was happy he'd been able to hang out with his new friend more, he didn't want to completely lose track of his main summer mission: Figuring out what happened to the Author. By this point, he'd been over the entire book and added entries about the cursed Fight-Fighters machine, Mermen, the Time Tape, even the copier in Stan's office, and various other creatures he'd encountered in his adventures. Unfortunately, new additions were all Dipper had at the moment.

He was growing increasingly certain that his Journal was the last that the Author made. There was simply too much unused space and the notes in the Journal that the Author had left cut off too suddenly. That still left him with an issue, though. That meant there were two Journals unaccounted for. Two-thirds of a puzzle he was lacking. No, even more than that, since his Journal was incomplete. If he wanted to make any headway on his case, Dipper needed those other Journals. 

The problem was, that nothing in Journal 3 mentioned where the others could be. The one he found was hidden pretty elaborately, and he'd only stumbled upon it through chance. He couldn't bank on being so lucky two more times. And even if he did find the secret locations of the other two Journals, there was no guarantee they'd even still be there.

Dipper growled in frustration. Every angle he tried just lead to a dead end. The whole thing felt like trying to put together a huge jigsaw puzzle blindfolded. At this point, his best plan was to go over a map of the forest and use the entries in the Journal to find the areas that the Author most frequented. 

The forest was most likely where at least one of the books was hidden since it would be out of the way and the author seemed to go there a lot. But then again, the fact that the author went there often could be indicated that he didn't hide the Journals in the forest to avoid being predictable. Just a never-ending cycle of could-be's and maybe not's.

Dipper sighed. He'd check the forest, just to be sure. Still, he needed to come up with other strategies in case nothing turned up. Maybe he could have a brainstorming session with Mabel and come up with something better. She was always better at thinking up outside the box ideas than he was, anyway.

Dipper glanced over at his sister's bed. She was right there and just playing a game of solitaire. Not doing anything important. Maybe now would be a good time to-

"Kids!" Stan shouted from downstairs. "Come quick!"

' Of course... ' Dipper thought as he shut the Journal and tucked it into his jacket.

The twins went downstairs to the living room, where they saw their grunkle laughing at something on the TV.

"C'mon!" Stan told the kids. "I need you to laugh at this with me!"

The twins looked at the TV and saw a commercial for the Tent of Telepathy.

"Ugh," Dipper grunted in disgust. "Gideon."

"Remember when I wouldn't date him and he tried to destroy us?" Mabel asked.

"How could I forget?" Dipper responded.

"Little punk's always trying to trick me into losing the Mystery Shack," Stan said. "And sabotage my events. And steal my parking spaces."

"And yet," Soos said as he walked into the room, "our mutual hatred for him bonds us together."

Dipper quirked an eyebrow. "No offense Soos, but what're you doing here? Isn't today your day off?"

"I ain't payin' ya overtime!" Stan chimed in from his recliner.