Chapter Three

"Be more careful next time!" Sekhmet shouted after the siblings but they were already rushing home for dinner. She chuckled and re-entered her house which also served as the healing center. A young boy had carried his sister to her because of a scraped knee. His round face was red from running and eyes wide with fear. Sekhmet wouldn't normally heal such a small injury but children were her weakness and the boy was so adorable, rambling about how he was supposed to protect his little sister and how he failed to do so.

"Well, wasn't that inspirational." Her attention disregarded the location of the deep voice.

Starting to clean her medical supplies, she then responded, "Must you always visit unannounced? It is degrading for your character and reputation."

"The quality of my character was lost long ago," he stalked towards the goddess, "and my reputation is rather alluring. Is it not?"

Sekhmet grinned. "Not in the least. Now, since you're here, throw these dirty bandages away," he scowled, "please."

With his daunting stare ignored, Horus did as commanded. He couldn't believe that he, Son of Osiris, was touching cloth littered with the foul blood of mortals. Quickly tossing the soiled bandages into a waste bin, Horus returned his attention to the goddess who flitted around a small, worn kitchen. He could not understand why she lives in such a hovel. "Why do you help them?" Horus asked with authentic curiosity.

"The humans?" Sekhmet paused, moving the sand on her wooden floor with her toe. "You know why, Horus. You heard the stories. They're all true."

"Yes, I've heard the stories but none of that makes you indebted to the mortals. You are a goddess! We are allowed to make mistakes."

A fire lit in Sekhmet. "What I did was no mistake, Horus," she spat. The god remained silent, knowing that her anger was real... and dangerous. "I slaughtered," emotion choked her voice, "thousands." Glowing eyes flooded with tears jumped to his own. "Innocent children."

Horus did not say a word or move his head in understanding. He simply sat down next to the slumped goddess on the rotted floor and gently pulled her into his arms. Sekhmet melted into the gods' embrace. While his words sparked the darkness to push harder on her mind, he had become her friend and didn't mean to harm her.

"I'm sorry." And that's all that needed to be said.

"How are your lessons with Thoth going? I hope you're not torturing him with your pig-headedness."

"Oh, thank you. It's one of my more becoming qualities."

Sekhmet snorted. The unexpected sound caused the grape Horus had flung into his mouth to become lodged in his throat. The god coughed violently while Sekhmet's laughter grew, tears brimmed her eyes as the purple sphere shot out of Horus' gasping mouth.

"Now that was entertaining," Sekhmet sighed as she rubbed her cramping sides from the ceaseless laughter and laid on the blanket they both sat upon. "I told you this would be better without all your servants surrounding us like buzzing bees."

Horus took a gulp of wine to soothe his irritated throat but hummed in agreement. "My lessons are well enough. That god's knowledge tries my patience," Sekhmet cocked an eyebrow so Horus corrected himself, "what little I have at least. But if I must learn through Thoth to appease my father and become king... so be it."

"Oh, what a sad little life you're shackled to." She smiled up at the god who lay next to her, his head propped up by a sturdy arm. Her cheeks were stained rosy from the warm sun that was now fading under the horizon. The golden specks on her skin glowed.