Chapter Twenty One

The Earth and skies were once again illuminated by the sun. The people exited their homes and hugged each other. Even strangers welcomed one another.

Black ashes floated through the air, the only reminder of how close Apophis was to killing all who lived. The beast had collapsed within itself before exploding with the energy of the sun. A limp form had fallen from where Apophis had disintegrated in the sky. People quickly surrounded the unmoving goddess who was quickly recognized as Sekhmet.

The people's shouts of laughter were quickly replaced with cries of grief. Those who had yet to hear the news bowed and cheered as Horus walked through the crowds. The god himself had yet to know.

A small girl held out his glowing eye to him. Softly, he took the sphere from her dainty hands and pushed it into his empty socket. "Thank you," he smiled at the young child.

The people cheered as he walked by them but Horus quickly motioned for them to rise.

All heads slowly turned as a deep shout was heard along with echoing cries filled with the deepest pain.

"My Lord!" A young man ran to the god. His breathing was rushed, enabling him to speak further. Instead, he waved at Horus to follow him and sprinted back the way he came.

Horus followed immediately.

Sekhmet coughed, blood spilling from her mouth. She would be cradling the wound in her side if not for being completely paralyzed. She groaned as an old woman placed a cold rag over her forehead. Her entire body was dusted with black ash and mucus from Apophis.

Sekhmet was at peace. She had used a power she viewed as evil to save people. She knew Horus had succeeded. The people would be free and happy under his reign. She was no longer needed and that made her accept leaving.

Her eyes were about to close until a thud was heard next to her. His hands hovered over her body before resting on the side of her face and arm.

"Sekhmet..." He didn't know what else to say. He didn't know if he could say anything else.

The goddess' lips grew in a weak smile. "Horus. You did it."

Her voice was scratchy but she was alive. Horus knew she was on the brink of death so he quickly accepted this short moment he would have with her.

"We did. I love you so much." His body shuddered in sadness as he laid a gentle kiss on her forehead.

An old woman poured a small gulp of water down Sekhmet's throat. The goddess coughed once more. Horus winced at the blood that spurted from her mouth.

"Bring Bek. He's hurt." Horus frowned, not wanting to leave her side. Without looking away from her he waved a man over and told him to bring Bek.

Horus kept his fingers on the slow pulse at her wrist while running his fingers through her hair. Her pulse disappeared numerous times before men carried a groaning Bek to the gods.

"We make a good team," Sekhmet whispered in labored breaths.

Both god and mortal looked at each other and then at the goddess with waves of sadness. Sekhmet's breathing hitched as she focused all her energy on raising her hand just enough to touch Bek.

Her hair and eyes ignited with the light of the sun. Streams of light flowed from her body to Bek through her hand. The searing light flickered before disappearing.

The people held their breath as they watched. Not a sound was made, not even by the little children.

Suddenly, Bek shot up, gulping air into his lungs.

Sekhmet remained still.

As the women dressed Sekhmet's body for proper burial, Horus flew past the atmosphere returning the spear to whom it belonged.

Ra's body was still as it floated through space though it still glowed with white light.

"Grandfather." Horus placed the spear in Ra's hand. The god's eyes snapped open meeting both of Horus'. "It is finished. Set and Apophis are both gone."

"Apophis?"

"Sekhmet traded her life to save all you created."

Horus bowed before diving back to Earth. He would only be apart from Sekhmet for as long as necessary.

A sound escaped Ra. A sound that expressed his shock but not sadness. Death was no match for him.