Chapter Thirteen

"We have to kill them."

"We?" Horus was baffled by the mortal's suggestion but when was he not? The pair squatted in one of the empty channels where a tomb rested in the center. Set's trackers, Astarte and Anat, watched with eyes that ceased to close for any detectable movement. Their giant cobras slithered over one another, breaking everything they touched. Horus could almost laugh after finding that they could breathe fire as well.

Despite the unshielded fear on his face, Bek spoke with clarity. "When you go fishing, what's most important?"

Horus' attention remained planted where they had rested only minutes ago. Where was Sekhmet? "I don't fish," he answered without turning his alarmed gaze to Bek. He could not find a single gleam of golden hair anywhere. Where was she?

Bek would roll his eyes at the entitled god later. "It's the quality of the bait." What was he looking for?

"It's too dangerous," Horus breathed. His eye flicked over their surroundings, looking for something.

Ah. "You are worried about her." Ignoring his sound of disagreement, or possibly irritation of being read so easily, Bek looked toward the coal-colored serpent. "Well, I don't think you have to be."

Horus followed Bek's impressed gaze to find Sekhmet fighting the cobra's rider atop the moving snake. The tracker was too confident for anyone fighting against the goddess of war, especially when that goddess had a smile on her face.

"No, it's just my aim with a spear is not what it was." His attempt to mute his care was weak.

Bek's eyes rolled. "Then get closer before you throw it." Before Horus could pull him back, Bek was off to distract the cobra unoccupied by Sekhmet. This plan better work.

Sekhmet cursed at the unyielding snake. She was getting tired of its constant movement and incapability to die. Her attention was momentarily stolen from stabbing the relentless creature as the abandoned temple of Osiris crumbled in a cloud of smoke. 

A coughing Horus and Bek ran out, her sword slammed into the snake once more. 

"How'd you kill that other one. This one will not die," she said with annoyance. Each word was a jab of her sword.

The two watched as the goddess laid deadly slices on the beast but to no avail. The head of its rider lay a few feet away. 

"I don't think it can. Not without some type of power. You got any?" Bek hollered. 

Sekhmet jumped down, the snake momentarily confused about where its opponent went.

Horus looked at her, an eyebrow raised. "You could-"

"No," she stated briskly. Her demeanor softened, "You know I can't."

"Your toys won't help you this time, Sekhmet," a sweet, teasing voice said from behind.

The group turned quickly to find a smirking goddess of love. "Hathor? What are you-"

She strutted past them toward the approaching cobra. "We can catch up later." 

Sekhmet shook her head as her sister stood before the awaiting snake. She used her powers of seduction to control the beast. The goddess could command any to do anything she wished...if his heart had yet to be taken. Sadly, this creature was commanded to burn itself to death.

They took cover in a branch of the catacombs to escape the explosion of cooked cobra. The tunnel led to an exit showcasing a view of Egypt spread out like a map.

"You're welcome for saving your life," Hathor quipped. Sekhmet wasn't surprised that Hathor and Horus would start bickering once together again.

Horus took the bait. "So while I was sitting blind in my father's tomb, you shared a bed with the god who pulled out my eyes."

She shrugged, hands on her hips. "It got me this far. Didn't it?"

He pointed a callused finger. "You're a conniving traitor. How could we ever trust you?"

Sekhmet rushed to stand between the two. "Horus, she's my sister. Things would be a lot worse without her."

The god grumbled, "What do you mean?" Nothing she has done could ever cover her betrayal.

Hathor frowned and whispered to her sister, "You never told him?"

"He was a little busy being a-"

"You never told me what?" Horus never liked not knowing everything. Having less knowledge than another.

Sekhmet didn't know what prompted Bek to speak, but she was thankful for it. "We're breaking into Set's temple. Horus is going to kill him."

While her stance remained confident, Hathor's expressions featured confusion. "How were you planning to get in?"

The question was toward Horus, not the mere mortal. During this time, Horus kept staring at Sekhmet, waiting for her to explain what he apparently didn't know. His relentless stare faltered before begrudgingly shifting to the nuisance of a goddess.

"Him?" Hathor was bewildered when Horus nodded in the direction of the human.

"He's seen the plans. He knows the way," Horus stated, void of emotion.

"What about the Sphinx? Have you forgotten about that?" Sekhmet gasped at her sister's point. She couldn't believe she had forgotten the Sphinx, something Set boasted so proudly of. The gods ignored the exclamations coming from Bek. He did not seem too happy after learning about the Sphinx.

"We could ask Thoth for help." Sekhmet looked at her sister and Horus as they contemplated the idea.

Horus ran a hand through his disheveled hair. "That would be nice if we knew where he was."

She smiled. "I do."