Chapter Six

The beating of ceremonial drums sounded through the air in perfect rhythm but no sound was as prominent as that of the people. Their chatter, cheers, and simple sounds of amazement combined to create a great symphony of joy. 

Only one mortal did not share in these feelings. An astounding thief named Bek. He was an underestimated young man but would soon be known throughout all of Egypt. Zaya, his love, a beautiful maiden walked by his side. Her expressions, astonished by the glory of the palace, were the same expressions the people surrounding her held. Everyone except Bek.

People from all walks of life came to this celebration, the crowning of their new king. While some members of the crowd may hold resentment such as Bek, no one would miss such a grand and rare occasion. Bek was only here for Zaya...and the valuables he could steal along the way. No one would know.

As the couple made it through the crowd in a rush, they attained positions at the front of the crowd. People laid offerings on the golden steps that led up to where the gods were perched. The future king, Horus, sat between his parents on their magnificent thrones. Bek licked his lips as he assessed the amount of gold laying in a single leg of one throne.

The people cheered louder as each major god was introduced. Sekhmet smiled wide as she looked out at the crowds. Her sister laughed at the excitement that was practically bubbling out of Sekhmet. "You are always happy to be around mortals but you seem especially exuberant today. Any particular reason? A certain god perhaps?"

Hathor smirked as Sekhmet blushed and lovingly whacked her on her bare arm. "Don't mock me, you donkey. Am I not allowed to be happy?"

"You are always happy but this is something else entirely. I am not the goddess of love for nothing. You are brimming with the glow of love. It is making me quite nauseated." The sisters laughed and smiled at each other, again reminded of how lucky they were to be together once more. Nothing was taken for granted when it came to dealing with each other.

Before the conversation could continue, Hathor was introduced and walked out towards the crowd. She came before the king, queen, and Horus to bow with all the elegance she contained. She snuck a wink toward the god, happy he had finally asked her sister to be his queen. The two had established a stable enough friendship over the years. A bearable acquaintanceship is the label Horus preferred.

"Sekhmet. Goddess of War and Healing." The crowds raged as the goddess was announced and made her way to the thrones. It was no wonder that Sekhmet was one of the favored gods and not many gods were perturbed by this for they loved her too. 

Reaching the stage, Sekhmet first faced the crowd and bowed to her people. From this action, they erupted in cheers for a god never bowed to mere mortals. What may have been an unacceptable action was only expected of the goddess, Sekhmet.

The golden adornments jingled as Sekhmet turned toward Osiris and his wife. She gave a deep bow and a gleaming grin as she looked upon the gods she adored. Osiris and Isis had quickly treated her like a daughter as her relationship with Horus proved not to be a momentary dalliance. Finally, Sekhmet picked up the translucent ends of her white gown and walked to the other gods who had been introduced.

Hathor reached down and pinched her sister's butt. "You just did that so he could see your butt." She was referring to Sekhmet bowing to the people to which she rolled her eyes.

Smirking, she replied, "That was not the main reason but... it was an opportunity I took with pleasure." The goddesses erupted in laughter but quickly quieted as Horus shot them a confused glance. Sekhmet hugged her friend, Nephthys, goddess of protection, after she was announced by the priest.

Sekhmet couldn't help but laugh at what Thoth said to the Queen. "Horus evinced a range of attributes, some of which may well correlate with a leadership position. If he's lucky." She greeted the god with a kiss on the cheek as he stood to her side.