Chapter Twenty Two

"I will miss her. We all will." Bek stood next to Horus as they watched servants lower Sekhmet into her tomb.

Thousands of people flooded the temple, spilling out into the courtyard. Few were actually able to see the ceremony occur but they all wanted to pay their respects. Horus did not turn to look at the people as Bek did. His eyes were trained on the lifeless body of his love.

She was gone.

Even through the sadness, Horus was gaining peace. Seeing the multitude of people who flocked for her burial reminded him of the people she impacted. For a goddess who felt unworthy of love, she loved with her whole being.

Horus was confident Sekhmet passed on with no regrets. In defeating Apophis, she found redemption from her past atrocities. The god tried to focus on this over the hole that consumed his heart.

Bek watched as Horus' gaze failed to waver from the goddess. If anyone could understand Horus' emotions it was Bek and so, he remained planted at the gods' side throughout the day.

Voices melded together as a final song was offered before the tomb's lid was slid over. Horus' fists tightened as the lid slowly moved to cover Sekhmet's body. This would be the last time he saw her.

No sound was heard except the grinding of metals as the lid was pushed against the body of the tomb. A bright light interrupted the peaceful moment, its rays reaching even the darkest corners. Gasps riddled through the crowds as Ra appeared with the glory of the sun. Flames licked his body, crackling as any fire does.

The servants abandoned closing the tomb at the unexpected interruption. Horus' head turned as soon as the light exploded in the temple and he bowed.

"I have never been in debt and yet I am in debt to you, grandson. Ask whatever you will. Mountains will kneel before you. The winds will do your bidding. You must answer now."

Ra's flames made the face of Horus glow with its colors. Both gods remained still.

"I want nothing." He looked back at the tomb. "Except what is impossible."

A very faint nod was given by Ra. His arms clothed in pure white drapes extended from his body until the fire became thick and evaporated leaving no trace of the god.

"Horus." Bek's voice of alarm captured Horus' attention. The god followed his friend's gaze to find Sekhmet sitting up in her tomb.

Air rushed out of her lungs as she scrambled to feel her moving chest and uninjured torso. Slowly, her eyes rose to find all types of people squished in every crack of her temple. Her eyes focused more, seeing a frozen Horus with an equally shocked Bek by his side.

Sekhmet released a breathy smile before sliding out of the tomb. Her movement brought Horus back to reality, causing him to rush to the goddess and help her down.

"Sekh-"

Horus' words were stolen as lips planted firmly over his own. He wrapped his arm around her, his other hand switching between her hair and neck. She gripped his leather clothing, fearing that she would lose him.

The shouts and cheers of the people were completely muted as the couple stared into each other's eyes with bewildered smiles decorating their lips. Horus pulled her into a tight hug, smothering his senses with her skin and flowing hair.

Sekhmet moved to hold his face in her hands, inspecting him. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Both spoke with raw honesty as they said those words.

She smiled with humor glowing behind her eyes. "You got your other eye." Horus nodded, tucking a stray hair behind her ear. "It's a shame. I rather liked the eye patch." Her lips twisted in the most alluring way. "It was quite-"