Chapter Sixteen

"Did you know of Horus' promise to Bek?" Hathor had just discussed with Horus the deal he made with the mortal to bring back his love. She was abhorred that the god would lie to such an extent but not surprised. Horus needed his revenge and redemption.

"I do," Sekhmet stated. "Don't look at me like that, Hathor."

"Oh, sorry. I just realized my sister isn't as pure as I imagined."

She sighed, tired of the unending problems. "This has nothing to do with me. I warned him against it but chose to stay out of his affairs. Are you going to tell Bek?"

Hathor thought for a long moment, looking out to the dessert that was painted with shades of orange and yellow by the descending sun. Sand scratched any bare skin as it was propelled by the ravaging winds.

"I suppose I will not. The mortal is the only one who knows the entry to Set's pyramid. We will all die if Set isn't destroyed. That's what Horus said."

Sekhmet watched the god who trudged ahead of them before staring out at the unending sand dunes. Bek and Thoth were behind the rest. "I think this will all end how we least expect it to."

"I hope so."

"It's too dangerous to cross the plain. We'll wait for darkness." The group came to stand on a high dune presenting them with the view of a distant pyramid. Set's pyramid.

A plain of sand, for nothing else surrounded them, rested in the middle. Wavering from the heat as the waves of the ocean when no land is near.

Bek voiced his disagreement, afraid that he was running out of time to save Zaya. And he was... if Horus could actually bring her back. Realizing there was no changing Horus' decision to wait, he strode off to sit, watching the descending sun with angst.

Hathor followed the mortal. Her heart was moved by his deep love for the woman. She would give him one last chance to see his love by using her powers as Mistress of the West.

Sekhmet walked until she was hidden by the hills of sand. She would take this moment to rest, perhaps pray to Ra for guidance.

The two gods watched as her golden hair flapped in the wind before being shielded from sight by the waves of sand.

"All the time you were apart, she never forgot you. You've always been in her heart, you know." Thoth spoke with a calmness that was almost unnerving as Horus sat in the sand.

"Yes, of which I'm constantly reminded." Horus could not control his shame that was manifesting into a monster of anger toward others. He knew it was wrong but sometimes one just doesn't have enough energy to do the right thing.

"Do you not deserve such?" Thoth watched the god as he poured sand from his shoes. "Love is only more valuable when it triumphs over life's insurmountable challenges. Only more beautiful when it reaps forgiveness."

He paced around the sitting god. "Tell me, oh, wise Lord of the Air. Why do you think Set let you live? You of all should know that gods don't do something for nothing. They made a deal out of love. You'd punish Sekhmet and Hathor for that?"

Horus waited, his eyes avoiding the stare of Thoth. "Hathor is a traitor. What deal would they both make?"

Thoth frowned at such blindness. His former student was quite the fool. "After Sekhmet saved your life, begging for mercy, Set agreed for one thing in return. Sekhmet was willing but her sister interfered to save her. So, she pleased Set with her conquests of neighboring powers while Hathor pleased Set with her body. And you wallowed in self-loathing."

"I didn't need their help. Now, I only need one thing."

"You know, I think everyone's a fool. But you, My Lord, are bigger than most."

"I'm really starting to lose hope, Horus." Both gods' snapped to the unknown presence. How long had she been there? "You really had me convinced that you would change. You should be proud, though, that's never been a challenge for you." Sekhmet wasn't ashamed of the tears that streamed from her cheeks. Or that smears of sand probably replaced the trails of salty water.

"Sekhmet-" he paused at the ferocious glare. "You misunderstood. Once I get my revenge, we can go back to before. You love me."

She didn't feel like it but she would always love him. The question was if he actually loved her.

A chilling laugh carried off with the wind. "No. You misunderstood. Once Set is killed we are nothing." She turned away to join her sister. "You said all you need is revenge? Then I guess you don't need me. I deserve better than before."

Sekhmet maintained a solid distance between herself and everyone else as they trekked to the pyramid under the black sky.

She was mad at Horus, of course, but most of all mad at herself. Her ignorance of Horus' feelings and desires. Through their whole relationship had it always been her doing the work? Was she just another pleasure for him to use and discard when something else was more important? That thought was unbearable.

Maybe excuses were made. His anger and cruel actions were only natural after the loss of his parents and powers. No. If he truly loved her, he wouldn't have blamed her for Osiris' death or abused her kindness.

She would do what was necessary to save the people and be satisfied in a life with no Horus. Sekhmet repeated this until they reached the pyramid.