Chapter Twelve

"Are we going to ignore the fact that you are lying to the boy?" The pair of gods continued walking, the mortal a safe distance behind.

"I don't know what you are referring to." Horus swiped a hand against his brow. There was no longer cover from the blistering sun. They had left the valley long ago and now traveled through the empty desert. No sounds were heard except grains of sand sweeping over one another.

A sound of disbelief was carried with the hot breeze. "It is wrong, Horus. He would not help you or any god if he knew the truth."

"I never cared much for the morals of humans." Within a breath, the god was pinned to the sand.

Sekhmet's knees inhibited his strong arms from freeing himself. "I am tired of your insolence, Horus." Their eyes met for a long moment, both with feelings shielded by thoughts and ambitions. Sekhmet didn't know how to feel about Horus. Of course she loved him, she always would, but time had shown her that he was not ready for her love. Perhaps she was not ready either. Ra knew she was still haunted by her past.

No matter, loving someone also meant holding them accountable... telling the truth. Sekhmet released pressure from his throat where her forearm was resting. "Stop acting like a child and I will stop treating you like one." The goddess rose, glancing over her shoulder at the stunned god. "I won't meddle in your affairs with Bek, but I hope you'll understand the hardships that will come with the choices you are making."

Horus dusted himself, a useless task, and sighed, "Very well."

"Things finally got interesting," Bek shouted with a large grin. He was oblivious to their conversation but heavily amused by the arrogant god falling to his back at the hands of a lovely creature. Such beauty almost hid the ferocity beneath.

It was just daylight. The goddess could tell that much from the blinding light her eyes absorbed as they opened. She stayed still, her eyes the only detectable movement, and observed her surroundings. How beautiful they were.

Looking straight, for she had fallen asleep on her back, she would have been welcomed by a blue sky. That view; however, was blocked by a god, a wondrous sight. Her eyes glided over the sharp edges of his jaw and the speckled facial hair that coated it. His skin had darkened after their long trek under the sun. She admired the features she had known and noted the ones that were new. Mainly the lines engraved between his brows and around his eyes. Lines that showed pain and loss.

"You don't spend years with a person and not know when they're awake." Sekhmet's eyes snapped shut in a pointless attempt to hide her longing gaze. Quiet laughter leaked from both their lips. She raised a hand, caressing the features she had not touched for so long. Reality withdrew the touch before Horus could welcome the surprising gesture.

The goddess sat up, swinging her long braid over her shoulder. Silently, Horus offered water which was gratefully taken. Sekhmet followed the gaze of the god. A temple made of sandstone stood a distance away. Empty channels snaked their way to where the group rested. This place used to be beautiful, an oasis of life. Sekhmet could tell its vacancy filled Horus with grief.

This place was The Osirion. Osiris and Isis would come here often to walk amongst the gardens, they did so no longer. "I-"

"Can we find a less unpleasant campsite next time?" Sekhmet smiled softly as Horus' intention of speaking was interrupted before rising to collect her weapons. Most remained strapped to her body but larger ones were less enjoyable to sleep with.

Horus remained seated, staring out into the desolate ruins. His head moved slowly in response to Bek. "This used to be a garden like you've never seen."

Horus' vulnerable position suggested that he was not equipped for Bek's usual banter. The human, though surprised, remained calm. "What happened?"

"It was my father's first temple. In his generosity, he opened the grounds so the poor could bury their own here." Bek walked silently to sit near the god. Sekhmet watched as his eyes grew with understanding. He was beginning to see the world from another perspective. The perspective of the gods. "Set has corrupted his teachings." Horus looked to Bek... as a friend. "My father loved this place. So, Set brought him here to be butchered. His body was cut into 14 pieces. The heart was never found."

Bek looked with confusion. "Set salted the earth?"

A gentle hand rested on Horus' shoulder. He did not look for he knew who it was. "No. It was my mother's tears. Before she took her own life." Horus turned his sight away from Bek and the goddess behind him. Quietly he spoke, "I failed them." It was clear that this statement was to himself.

"I'm sorry," Bek spoke with deep sincerity. He was no doubt familiar with the loss of a loved one.

Horus ignored the sympathy, his attention shifted. "Ra told me I was on a journey. And if I reach the end, I will be mighty again."

Bek watched as the god's voice grew louder and his face contorted with anger... sadness. "How does it end?"

"With vengeance," Horus said firmly. He spoke as though convincing himself that his assumption was correct. Sekhmet believed it was not. "It ends with my spear through Set's skull."

Sekhmet frowned as she registered a rumbling from behind. Her curiosity was furthered as Bek turned toward the distant dunes where billows of sandy clouds formed. "Is that a storm? There's no clouds." In response, two gigantic cobras shot from behind a dune, making themselves and their riders visible.

"Set's best hunters," the goddess growled, "riding their pets."

Bek was bewildered. "Those aren't pets! A cat is a pet." While the gods watched the cobras slither toward them, Bek slowly stepped away.

Sekhmet unsheathed her gleaming sword, looking at Horus in question. "I can't withstand their venom. Not as I am now," he frowned.

"I will fend them off," she decided. "Until you come up with a better plan at least." A smile was used to diffuse the gravity of the situation.

"Then I guess we should run," Bek shouted.

Horus frowned as he watched the approaching snakes. "Run?"

Bek took off toward the distant temple. "Mortals do it all the time!" The god hesitated before running after the mortal. Sekhmet took a deep breath and then jumped down into one of the empty channels. She would embed her sword into the belly of a passing snake and go from there.