ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙

Chapter 1 - The Princess

"Darkness darkness"
~*~

    The tightness in her throat choked her breath as her lungs restricted any oxygen to replenish her energy. Her legs were sore and worn and her skin was thrashed and blemished with dirt and dust that had permeated from the blasts around her. Explosions came from every angle, and the screams of loss and agony, and terror rippled throughout the land. The sound deafened her ears as the adrenaline coursing through her nervous system urged her weary feet to continue running. To keep pushing onward. And as all the chaos of war and devastation reigned behind her, tears poured down her rosy cheeks in the misty morning air.

    In the distant static of warfare, the ginger girl heard a neigh of a horse and the clomping of hooves beside her, between the trees. Her head whipped around in the direction of the sound; her ginger curly hair slapped her tear-stained cheeks as her mind was fuzzy. Through the mist, she caught the glimpse of a white wild horse grazing. Her eyes lit up, hope refueling her energy instead of oxygen or water. Her legs began moving, then pounding and churning like the pistons on a steam locomotive. The horse - despite the noise of distant battle in the pastures below and the sound of the huffing girl running towards it - remained calm, and only then did it neigh and whip around when the girl had hopped onto its back. However, the girl knew exactly how to calm the wild horse in spite of not being coherent with her complete array of senses. Horse riding was second nature to her, especially wild horses which she had befriended in years past.

    The dirt beside her was suddenly disturbed by a blast from the other hill, insisting she ride the other direction to get away from the invaders. She could still remember what the man dressed in white armor and robes had said back at the castle when the attack first came about.

"Get out of the castle through the hidden tunnels underground. Once you've reached the end and have arrived in the countryside, start running and get to a safe port or hide where no one would ever find you. They've come to capture you. Do not let them find you."

    It was a very abrupt request, especially since she seemed to be the only one who had no idea what was happening to her kingdom or herself. But the emblem on the man's shoulder armor struck her in a different light. She sensed that he was to be trusted and that she should follow his orders if what he said was true about the invaders' motives. So, she fled through the secret underground escape tunnels, as old as the kingdom's history itself, and absconded to the forests of the hills.

    The horse was frightened by the blast and began galloping into the forest, away from the fire of war. With no saddle and no reigns, the girl struggled to remain on the horse. Fortunately, the tight and strong grip of her arms wrapped around the horse's neck secured her spot. Though she did not know where they were headed, she did not care. All she wanted was to be free from the bombs and guns and be safe. But her wish did not come true.