ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙𝟙

Chapter 11 - Caring Under The Surface

"Darkness darkness"

~*~

    The elevator ride was quiet for the majority of the journey. Aurelia stood between the two men, her hands clasped behind her with a brilliant grin upon her face. However contrary to her blissful mood, Anakin beside her was constantly adjusting his cloak around himself. It didn't take a scientist to notice his nervousness.

    "You seem a little on edge." Obi-Wan mentioned to Anakin, catching his attention. He glanced at his master once, then returned to staring at the elevator buttons on the wall.

    "Not at all." Anakin hid, although Aurelia knew all too well what he was nervous about.

    However, Obi-Wan pestered the thought. "I haven't felt you this tense since we fell into that nest of gundarks."

    Aurelia smiled in amusement, only following the conversation loosely. She hadn't been with them on that mission. That had happened, apparently before they had even met. However, she had studied that terrifying species while she was learning about the different planet systems throughout the vastness of the galaxy. Gundarks come from the planet of Vanqor and are devilish-looking creatures with horns, claws, a ruddy hide, and long, sharp ears. Their hearing is incredible, which makes them especially dangerous. Listening to their story of how they even escaped that predicament was amazing in and of itself.

    Anakin scoffed at his Master's selective recollection, looking down upon him by an inch of height difference. "You fell into that nightmare, Master and I rescued you, remember?" Aurelia looked between the two, trying to hold an escaping laugh.

    "Oh...yes," Obi-Wan admitted, but that was enough to put Aurelia over the edge and burst into laughter. The men chuckled with her and calmed down as the elevator neared its desired destination.

    Aurelia turned to Anakin and wiped a drop of sweat from his brow with her sleeve. "You're sweating, Ani. Relax. Take a deep breath." She told him in a calm voice and with soothing eyes.

    Anakin glanced at her and gave her a small smile out of the corner of his lips. He sighed and retained her eye contact. "I haven't seen her in ten years, Ari."

    Aurelia giggled and pushed herself onto her tiptoes to pat his head. "You'll do great, Ani. She'll be glad to see you. I know she will." She beamed.

    Anakin sighed in relief and kept his head straight as the elevator came to a stop and the doors opened. Immediately, a high-pitched voice erupted with euphoria. "Obi? Obi!" An amphibious-looking creature dressed in luxurious clothing exclaimed, grasping Obi-Wan's hand and shaking it enthusiastically. "Mesa so smilen to see yousa!" He continued, using rough English.