Chapter-6: The Meeting

“Why are you pale, I thought you would be relieved. Her profile says she does well with herself, Olivia” he was still reading her file.

“I saw her two months ago in the station” I blur out and was ready to take a bullet.

“What, why didn't you tell me?" He threw the file on the desk and sat beside me.

“She doesn't acknowledge me, Mike. She looks at me like I was a stranger and that's not the worst part. You are right she did well for herself, she has a boyfriend too” tears filled my eyes.

“I just want to know she is doing well, I didn't know she would work with us. I didn't want to curse Kristen more pain than I already curse. She didn't.... deserve it” I said.

“I didn't understand” he looked sadder than I. I was about to reply when the phone rang on the desk. I was grateful for the distraction.

“Ms. Evans your nine o'clock was here” the receptionist informed me.

“Can you send her to my office, Harper” my hand was shaking, I took a deep breath and turned to Mike. He was looking at me with pity in his eyes and I hated it.

“I am sorry, Olivia," he says. When I didn't reply he left.

———————--------------————
Sebel

I was too nervous to stand still. I waited for two years to transfer to the third floor. I worked too hard to miss a chance to work with Olivia Evans. She was a big name in the magazine industry and she was dating Kristen Walter.

I can't believe Ethan crashed her car. I hope nothing goes wrong today.

“Ms. Wilson” that cute receptionist called my name. 

I stood and smooth my blazer. I wear simple jeans with an underneath shirt and a blazer that completes a professional look.

“I am here” I walk to her desk and give her my best smile. She takes a second look at me and that makes me second guess my choice of clothes.

“Ms. Evans was expanding you in her office” she smiled at me and pointed toward a big wooden door. I thank her and make my way to the door and knock on it.

My plan was sweating, I felt a sudden panic. I have to stop drinking coffee with an empty stomach. 

“Come in” a soft feminine voice called back. I took a deep breath and opened the door slowly. Ms. Evan was standing by a high ceiling window looking outside. She has the most expensive oak desk I have ever seen.

“Good morning, Ms. Evans," I can feel the tension in the room.  She flinched when I called her name. She was still looking outside, completely ignoring me. That's not a good sign. I clear my throat loudly.

She turns slowly and her intense eyes land directly on me. She didn't turn once in the whole two minutes but she knew where I was standing. Window 

She wore a designer-looking black suit that makes her powerful. Her dark black hair was pulled back from her face and her jaw, it was even sharper than Ethans. But what captured my attention was her aura, her green eyes with a hint of grey color. She has the most intense and beautiful eyes.

She just stared at me, maybe something was on my face. I can't say I was attractive but I wasn't ugly either.

I feel entirely exposed under her gaze. God that interview was way too head. She gestured for me to take a sit. I was never desperate to hear someone's voice before. 

She takes off her suit jacket and I swear I saw her before, somewhere other than in photos but I can't place her.

“How have you been, Sebel” finally she spoke, and like I imagine she has a strong voice. She says it like we know each other, I feel like I know her.

But that wasn't a question I was expecting. “I...good” she tightened her jaw and I was afraid I said something wrong. 

She has a natural expression but her eyes, but her eyes look lost. I feel a strong urge to hug her to make sure she was safe. I want to protect her from everything. I never feel something like that for Ethan. 

“You have a big gap on your CV,” she asked without a glance in my file, and that made me anxious, her eyes made me grounded. 

“Yes, I was in a car crash and hurt my head pretty badly. After that, I suffer from insomnia. So I have like a two-year gap” I was rambling.

“Did you remember anything before the accident” she was holding her breath. I thought we are supposed to have a nice chat about work. Her question sounds like we are in therapy.

“No, I just woke up in a New York hospital with a blank slate, and no I didn't remember friends and family," I say to her.

A signal tear rolled down her cheek. I know what happened to me was tragic but it wasn't that bad. After all, I met Eathn in hospital.

“I am sorry, I lost someone in a car crash" she wipes her cheek. “I am sorry for your loss,” I said to her and she chuckled.

She stood from her chair and stood beside me. She motioned me to stand, my heart was beating too fast. She was going to kick me out. 

Suddenly her arms folded around me, in instant I gather her in my arms. A sob broke from her and I tighter my hold on her. She moves her face more to my neck and I feel a different type of desire in me.

She was sobbing on my shoulder. I move my hand on her back making a small circle to calm her. I never thought that Oliva Evans, a woman who controlled so many people's lives with her words will be a broken one.

“I'm sorry, I left you alone. I am so sorry” I don't know why she was apologizing to me. 

“Hey, it's okay we are good" I try to calm her. After a moment she pushed me aside and left the room. 

I was processing what happened when the receptionist came and told me where my office was.