Chapter-9: The Blackbird Bar

Olivia

I softly open her office door. "Hi, can I come in?" I asked Kristen. After what happened in the meeting, I just want to be with her. Her blue eyes always make my running thoughts calm.

She was standing beside the window. She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice me. "Kristen," I whisper in an echoing voice. She was lost on her thought Something was wrong. I make my way to her and wrap my arms around her. Her body goes rigid beneath me.

"Hi, it's me," I whisper in her ear and gently place my chin on her shoulder her body soon relaxes under my arms and interlocks our hand on her stomach. I smile and kissed her temple.

"So what's bothering you today," I asked anyway, knowing what's bothering her. She takes a deep breath and move more on my arms. "How's your meeting? Did she remember anything" her voice was a  flat. I lose my arms around her, but she tighter her hold on my me.

"No, she remembered nothing. But she was good at her work. She achieved Manager Editor's position in two years. I'm glad she was doing well," Kristen turned on my arms. Her pricing blue eyes held a clam, Strome.

"Olivia, how are you doing?" she whispered while staring at my lips. I chuckled silently. "I was carrying a deep regret for leaving her alone, but now I was at peace knowing she was doing well," I whisper.

"But you still carry guilt for leaving her" she released her hold on me and sat on her desk with a scowl. I took a deep breath and stood in front of her. "Yes, I'll carry it for the rest of my life, Kristen. If I don't leave her, she will never be in a car crash" I gently kiss her head, knowing it will calm her.

"We didn't know for sure, Olivia" her eyes held an unfamiliar emotion. I didn't know what she was trying to say. I know something was bothering her too. So, I changed the subject.

"You are coming to the apartment with me tonight," I asked her. She pushes my hair away from my face and kisses me on the lips.

"No, my father wants my presence at tomorrow's meeting. I have to catch a midnight flight," she replied softly. When I didn't respond, she took my hand. "I promise I'll make it up to you," I nodded. In our three-year relationship, that was the first time she declined to come with me. Something was off.

After lunch with Kristen, I was on my way to my office when I saw her again. She was standing with Ethan. They both work together. Ethan was our new journalist. She was laughing at something he was saying to her and she learned to kiss him but stopped in the middle when she saw me staring. She hopped from the desk and made her way to me but I turned and walked towards the elevator.

"Ms. Evan, wait," she shouted from behind, but I ignored her.

After I left my office in tears, I didn't stop till I got to my apartment. The ride to my apartment was terrifying. I was so close to crashing on the bus on my way. But that didn't shake me silently the way it shook me when I saw Sebel. She looks so happy and confident.

When we are together, she always carries the burden of her mother's abandoned behavior or her father's abuse and hate. But now she looks so free and her eyes hold peace. I should be happy for her, but i can't help but a tiny part of me want her to smile at me. i want her to look at me with love. 

My phone was vibrating in my jacket pocket, but I ignored it.

I was halfway through my third glass of bourbon when someone shouted from the door.

"Hey Olivia, it's me" Mike was standing on the other side of the door. I take a deep breath and open the door. His gray eyes travel to my head to teo. He silently nods and walks past me to the kitchen.

He takes my half-empty glass and knocks it off in one gulp. "I guess you're ignoring my calls," he said and took a seat on a chair, waving to me to sit on the other.

"Do you want another drink?" I slurred on the last part. His lips pulled upward when he saw I was already tipsy. He always loves drunk Oliva more. I take a deep breath and try to walk straight and make a drink.

"So, you and Kristen were living for a conference?" I asked him.

"I have an early flight tomorrow morning but Kristen was leaving at midnight. If I know you're getting drunk, I would come sooner," I glared at him. He laughed and took a sip from his glass.

My phone vibrates from the table in between us. Kristen's message shows up on the screen.

"I'm sorry I didn't make it today, love but I'll make it up to you. I promise. Love you," a sigh escape my lips.

"You know, I saw her when I was leaving the office. She was sitting in her chair with a bottle of wine. Properly she was drunk by now," Mike said still staring at the phone.

"I want her to be happy, Mike. She doesn't know what she wants anymore. She was pulling away from me," I whisper in the last part.

"She was Kristen, and she always came around. She just needs some alone Kristen time," he said.

"Come on, I know what you want right now. You need to get loose and we are going to Blackbird. '' He took my jacket off the couch and opened my apartment door.

"Come on, Olivia," he shouted.

I think about it for a second but agree with him. I was glad he didn't ask about my drinking, but it will come eventually.

I was standing outside of Blackbird bar and only agreed with him because I want to forget what I found today. We enter a bar and order drinks. Everyone is around having fun. Half an hour later, Mark was talking to some girl, and it left me drunk, alone at the table.

"Hey, kitten, what are you doing here alone?" cute blonde dabs my shoulder. I glare at her.

I stood but stumbled on my footing and she caught me. Her hand was placed on my ass and she smiles down at me. I push her aside. I wasn't that drunk and walked to the door.

"Rude kitten," she yelled.

I grabbed my glass and messaged Mark that I was going home and asked for a cab and made my way to the exit. I was staring at my phone and didn't see someone coming in my way. She knocked on my glass and wine on my blouse.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you coming" her hazel-green eyes with blue wrinkles freeze when they connect with my green.