CHAPTER 5

SCARLETT VALENTINE

PRESENT DAY

I opened the front door at the sound of a knock. A small smile appeared on my face as I crossed my arms over my chest, leaning against the frame. 

"Agent Boone Matthews, what a pleasant surprise" I greeted the attractive agent, having to tip my head back to look up at him. His lips were pulled into a tight, tiny smile he was trying to refrain from but failing. 

"Miss Valentine. Are you ready to go?" My smile slowly fell, a snort leaving my nose as I glanced over his large frame, amused. 

"Where?" He sighed, his chest puffing as he let out a silent laugh. 

"To the bureau" My smile had completely fallen from my face as I stared up at him like he'd grown an extra head. 

"What? Now?" I asked, a large genuine smile coming to his beautiful face as he laughed, nodding his head. 

"Yes, now" He chuckled, a groan leaving my lips as I turned, rushing back to my room to get changed. I heard the door shut, meaning Matthews had invited himself in. 

"You couldn't give a girl a heads up? I just woke up for pete sake" I yelled out, stepping out of my pj shorts and grabbing my new jeans from he ground, pulling them over my ass and hips before zipping them up. 

"It's 9:30 in the morning" Matthews replied, his voice getting closer to my room. I threw on a singlet, slinging my leather jacket over my shoulders and pushing my arms through the sleeves. Grabbing my boots I sat down on the end of my bed, looking up to see Matthews step into the door way. I pulled my boots onto my socked feet with a groan at how tight they were. 

"9:30 is early in prison. When you're only allowed out of your cell 5 hours a day you spend most of your time sleeping" I replied, pushing myself up, dusting my hands on my thighs. 

"And yet you look like you've never slept a day in your life" Matthews stated, eyes trailing me as I made my way over to him. I stopped right in front of him, unable to move through the doorway as his large frame was taking it all up. 

"I exaggerate the word sleep. I've spent the last 5 years napping" I said, tapping his chest twice indicating I wanted him to move. He took a single step back, allowing me to maneuver around him. 

"You should get some sleep tablets" 

"Pharmacies don't sell drugs to ex convicts. I'd know, I've already tried"  I started heading down the hall towards the front door, glancing at the snake in the enclosure, it's head following my every movement. I changed my path, walking into the kitchen to grab and apple and a bottle of water. Turning back, Matthews was standing in front of the snake, lightly tapping the glass out of interest. 

"You ready?" I asked when I realised Matthews wasn't going to say anything else on the drugs topic. He looked away from the snake to me, turning his head with me as I walked around him and to the front door. 

"It's not yours, is it?"

"What? The snake?" He nodded. I laughed loudly. 

"God no. They're cool I guess but they're also creepy motherfuckers. It's my roommates" Fuck Quita and her weird obsession. I glared at the orange thing behind the glass, looking up to see Matthews sporting the same look of disgust on his face as he too stared at it. 

"You should get rid of it. 81 000 + people die to snake bites every year" Fucking gross. I sighed, grabbing the door handle. 

"That's something you'd have to argue with Quita, my roommate. She's obsessed" I shook it off, my body shivering as I swore something touched me but never did.