CHAPTER 24

HOLDEN KINCAIDE 

5 YEARS AGO

"So that's why you wanted to eat here?" Nolan laughed, nudging my arm as he lean back against the booth seat. Eros, Dean and Schmidt all frowned, looking between me and Nolan. I made the mistake of glancing at her whilst they were looking at me, all three guys immediately turning their heads, staring over the booth, eyes scanning the diner in search of what Nolan meant. 

"You're still crushing on her?" Eros asked, eyes lingering on Scarlett as she served people at the front register before turning to call something through the small window that lead into the diners kitchen. She had to get up on her tippy toes to be able to yell into the kitchen, her uniform slightly riding up her thighs. Eros grinned, making a low whistle at the sight. I kicked his shin under the table. 

"Ouch. Fucker" Eros groaned, glaring at me across the table, leaning down to massage the spot I'd kicked. Scarlett didn't need to be perved on whilst she was working. I'm sure she got it enough from some of the older guys that came into the place. She didn't need it from Eros as well. 

"I get it, Holden. I really do" I side eyed Dean, eyebrows raised in question as I wondered where he was going with it. He was staring at Scarlett. "She's pretty". 

"I know-"

"Pretty out of your league" Schmidt cut in, Eros snorting as Dean and Schmidt both leant across the table to fist bump each other. Nolan scoffed, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. 

"Hey. My boy could get any girl he wanted with the snap of his fingers. Why couldn't he get Scar?" Schmidt, Eros and Dean all glanced at each other, eyebrows raised as if to say 'is this guy serious?'. Eros crossed his arms over his chest, leaning back into the booth. 

"Because he actually likes her. The guys a mumbling, fumbling mess when it comes to Scarlett, and girls don't like that. They want someone who actually knows how to form a sentence" Eros pointed at himself. Mother fucker. 

"I'm not illiterate. I can form a fucking senten-" 

"Hey Holden" My heart jumped in my chest, all the muscles in my body tightening as I locked eyes with a grinning Eros across from me. I dug my nails into the palms of my hands before turning my head and tilting it back, a smiling Scarlett standing beside me, note pad in hand as she glanced around the booth. 

Eros sat forward, resting his elbow on the table, his chin falling into his hand as he smiled, eyes bouncing between Scarlett and me. The dickhead looked like he was about to watch his favourite show. 

"Hi Scarlett" I replied, wanting to hide my burning face in my hands and die as my shaky voice echoed around the diner. I've talked to Scarlett normally, but both were under completely different circumstances. When I'd had my panic attack. When Mitchell, the fucker he is photoshopped photos of Scarlett and stuck them on her locker. At church. But in normal environments, like being out getting food, I didn't know how to talk to her. I didn't even know how to look at her without it being for too long and fearing she'd notice and become uncomfortable. 

"Yes, hello to you too Scar" Scarlett rolled her eyes, smiling at Nolan beside me. 

"Hello Nolan" He immediately smiled at the forced greeting. 

"Good Evening, princess" He replied, throwing a wink her way before slouching back into the booth. Scarlett turned to look at the other guys. 

"Hi Guys" Dean waved. Schmidt smiled. 

"Trouble" Eros grinned, my jaw immediately tightening due to the nickname and flirty smile he was currently sporting, and offering to Scarlett. Scarlett shrugged off Eros' greeting, turning her attention back to me.