CHAPTER 18

SCARLETT VALENTINE

PRESENT TIME

Schmidt had dropping into the room Holden and I were in a couple times, seeing what we were doing, how far along we were and if we needed any help before leaving. Matthews had also dropped in to make sure I was here today, not forgetting to give Holden a dirty look on the way out, and me a charming smile. 

When my phone rang, an unknown number coming up on the screen I neglected to listen to all those times my parents told me to never answer calls from people you don't have down as a contact. 

"Hello?" I asked, Holden glancing up at me, looking back down when he saw the phone pressed to my right ear. 

"It has been too long since I've heard that sweet voice of yours, angel" I sat up straight, a wide grin spreading across my face as I let out a laugh, rubbing a hand over my face. 

"Martha? What the hell are you doing calling me? And at midday? Shouldn't you be rounding up prisoners?" That earned a weird look from Holden. He mouthed the word 'prisoners' back to me, an eyebrow raised in question, but I shrugged him off, spinning around in the chair I was in. 

"They can wait a moment, you are more important to me" I fucking love this woman. 

"What's up? Why are you calling?" I asked, leaning back in my seat. 

"Just calling to make sure you are still on for tonight? Missy won't shut up about when she's gonna see you next. She has a big mouth for a 5 year old" That little girl stole my heart the first time I'd ever met her. 

"I wouldn't miss dinner for the world. Is everyone gonna be there?" 

"Of course. Me, my babies, my grand babies, Dylan's gonna be there too" She put a bit of enthusiasm into her voice when she said Dylan's name. Dylan was her third eldest. 2 years older than me, gorgeously handsome. Since I met her family she's been trying to hook me up with her son, even through prison walls. 

"You've already started planning mine and Dylan's wedding haven't you?" Holden's shoulders stiffened, his head jerking up at the mention of marriage. He didn't care that I'd caught him looking, he didn't dare look away from me. 

"Baby, the plan has been complete and sealed in an envelope for the last 5 years" I laughed loudly, shaking my head at the woman on the phone. 

"Martha, I'm not marrying your son"

"Oh, why not" She whined. 

"Last time we spoke he said he had a girlfriend" 

"Who? That Sarah girl? Oh she's long gone, anyway he's excited to see you" I laughed, shaking my head as I spun around in the seat I was in. 

"He's excited to see me cause we're friends, nothing more Martha. Time to burn that wedding envelope of yours" Martha loved the idea of me and Dylan, and since I'd met him I've continued to kill that fantasy of hers. 

"I'd rather hold onto it for safe keepings" I rolled my eyes at the woman. 

"Whatever floats your boat. Listen I'd love to chat but I've really got to get back to work" Martha snorted. 

"You? Working? Already?" Looking back up at Holden he was already looking at me. His face held an intense look, one he refused to break. 

"I'll tell you about it tonight. I've got to go. Love you Mar"

"Love you too, honey" I hung up, shoving my phone in my jeans pocket as I looked up, raising my eyebrows at Holden. 

"You eaves dropping now?" I asked, Holden's expression turning even more blank then before.