CHAPTER 9

SCARLETT VALENTINE

PRESENT TIME

"I look disgusting" 

"Jesus, you really are just a big ball of positivity, aren't you?" Quita asked from behind me as she pulled my hair out it's ponytail, letting it fall down my back and over my shoulders. I stared at myself in the mirror, this outfit of Quita's nothing I'd ever wear. It didn't suit my body type. She'd look amazing in it though. 

"I try to be" i replied, pulling at the mesh black long sleeve, my black bra pushing my breasts up and putting them on show. 

"If you think it's that bad we could always go for the prison look? Orange jumpsuit? At least you'd be comfortable" Quita was being a sarcastic bitch... and I loved it. 

"Yeah sure. I'd feel right at home" I replied with a shrug, earning a snort and a supressed grin in return. Quita ran her hands through my hair, fluffing it up before turning around to find some makeup. 

"So, who's picking you up again and why aren't I invited? And how have you already made friends?" I frowned, glaring at her back through the mirror as I tried to straighten out the small white skirt that wasn't even close to meeting my belly button and may as well have been underwear instead because it's not covering anything. 

"I'm going to ignore you implying I'm a hard person to-"

"Get along with? Scar, babe, you're not the nicest person in the world" Quita had turned back around with eyeliner, mascara and eyeshadow. I huffed, my arms falling to my sides when I realise the skirt was meant to be ruffled, not straight. That's going to piss me off. 

"If you're looking for nice you would've loved before prison Scarlett. She was a push over with no backbone" I stated, tilting my head to the side ever so slightly, looking my thinner frame up and down with sceptical eyes. I never used to be this thin. I used to like my curves. In fact, it was the one thing I liked about myself. And now I have no meat on my bones to form curves like I had once.  

"That's not always a bad-" I cut her off, realising she's clearly always been as enthusiastic, loud and extroverted as she is now. 

"Yes it is. Look at where it led me" A convict. Quita noticed the change in the air and tried to life my spirit. 

"I was thinking maybe I straighten your hair? Do some dark smokey eyeshadow? Maybe a winged liner? What do you think?" I shrugged. 

"Do what you want with my face, but your not killing my hair with a straightener" Plus I think my waves. They used to be ringlet curls but I honestly rather the lack of maintenance waves supplies me with. Quita grinned behind me, nodding her head. 

"Yes ma'am" 

It must've been 10 or so minutes later when Quita had finished and the door bell rung. Quita squealed in excitement for me before skipping off and into her room to change out of her tracksuits. With a sigh I lugged myself across the apartment and to the front door, not bothering to check to see who it was. I unlocked it, before swinging it open, Holden standing on the other side, hands in his pocket, head turned as he was looking down the hallway. He turned, looking at me, my eyes focused on his adams apple as it bobbed and he gulped. 

"Hey" He said, his eyes locked and focused on my face. It was as if he was trying to fight off the little self control he had to not look below my face. 

"You're 10 minutes early" I stated, turning around and walking back into the apartment, leaving him at the door to choose to come in or stay out. The door shut telling me he chose in.