CHAPTER 26

HOLDEN KINCAIDE

5 YEARS AGO

"Are you in love with Scarlett?" I choked on air, a strangled cough Nolan tried to help ease as he pounded my chest with his fist echoing around the small car. After I'd gotten myself collected I turned in my seat, glancing at Hallie in the back seat of the car. She was wearing a purple dress today, her hands pulling at tiny loose threads on its hem. I reached my hand in the back, slapping her hand away, not wanting her to ruin her dress, earning an immediate glare. If looks could kill, I'd of been murdered by a 12 year old. 

"No. Why would you say that?" I asked, pulling my hand back and resting it on the top of the seat as I continued to watch Hallie, making sure she didn't go back to pulling at the threads. I didn't even sound confident in my answer, the tone of my voice practically screaming I was lying. 

How could you be in love with someone you don't even know? I'm sure I wasn't in love with Scarlett. I just really, really, really, really, really, really, really liked her. Right?

"Nolly said you and Scarlett were going out on a date today" My squinted eyes slowly shifted to Nolan who was staring forward, out the front wind shield, his closed fist over his mouth doing a poor job at hiding a grin. 

"Nolly said that, huh?" I asked, Nolan side eyeing me, offering a large grin before he turned to look back out the window. 

"Yeah. He said you turn bright red when you talk to her as well" Hallie laughed lightly, swaying slightly from side to side. I was seconds away from damn well pushing Nolan out the moving car. Nolan's chest jolted with a silent laugh as he glanced up at the rear view mirror. Just as I too looked up at the rear view mirror, Killian, Nolan's Dad looked away from the rear view, a tiny grin playing on his face as he looked out the car window, faking checking for ongoing traffic. 

"I don't". 

"Oh, you so do" Nolan stated, laughing loudly, tilting his head back against the head rest. Melinda turned around, leant into the back seat and gave Nolan a light smack on his knee. But even then, as she's scolding him without words, a tiny almost unnoticeable smile was plastered on her face. Everyone was against me. 

"At least Holden actually managed to score a date-"

"Unofficial date" I interjected, Melinda ignoring my words and continuing on talking to Nolan. 

"Unlike you, Mr Not So Smooth. Who's that girl you like?" Melinda asked, Nolan's face burning bright red as he shook his head. 

"I don't like any-"

"Mariah Alterio. Scarlett's best friend" I answered for him, knowing he was going to lie, and try to brush it under the rug. Nolan immediately turned to me and punched me in the arm. Hallie let out a loud laugh from the very back seat, leaning forward to rest her elbows on the head rest between me and Nolan. 

"You like Mariah?" She asked, loving that she was hearing all the gossip. I smiled at her, Nolan turning, a look of shock and dread on his face as he looked at his little sister. 

"How the hell do you know Mariah?" Nolan yelled, practically ordering a response out of Hallie. 

"Language". 

"Dad and her Dad work together. She plays with me when they're finishing off on a project at the office" Nolan groaned, turning and flopping back into his seat, burying his head in his hands as Hallie placed a hand on his shoulder, rubbing it comfortingly. 

"Don't worry Nolly, I won't tell her...for a price" I snorted, Nolan removing his hand from his face to squint at Hallie through one eye. 

"Name your price" Hallie rubbed her hands together like a villain before leaning forward and whispering something in Nolan's ear. He snorted at her request before raising his hand and pulling Hallie's hand into a hand shake.