Chapter Twenty-Seven

Just like the day at the zoo, Grayson left me to guess at his plans. I grew tired of the game ten minutes into the ride and instead stared through the window, which, according to Grayson, meant that I was pouting. I wasn't. I mean, not much. It wasn't just that he was being secretive again. It was also that he'd refused to succumb to the urge to have sex with me before we'd left. Maybe it was childish to hold a grudge when he'd made me come several times before I'd staggered upstairs for my shower, but being with him had turned me into a greedy person. I always wanted more, especially given the time limit on our relationship.

With little to go on regarding our destination, I'd settled for a white flowy miniskirt and a tight-fitting black camisole style top with thin straps. It was too hot for a jacket, so I just had to hope the weather wouldn't turn before we were done with whatever he had in mind. I glanced at my reflection in the tiny sun-visor mirror and wondered if the outfit made me seem too young. The round sunglasses didn't help much. Nor did my sour expression. Anyone passing us would think I was some petulant teenager who'd been forced to run errands with an older relative.

My cellphone rang three times during the drive. I sent them all to voicemail. If I ever found out which company this person worked for, I was going to lodge a complaint. Surely, this counted as harassment. Most of my call logs were made up of anonymous inbound calls, some of which I must have connected accidentally while I was half asleep because they carried on for upwards of forty minutes. I'd been in the middle of contemplating just changing my cellphone plan and number when Grayson turned onto the forecourt of a car dealership.

"What are we doing here?" A terrible thought struck, which made my spine stiffen. I asked, "Have you been talking to Jenny?"

"Not since I dumped her at home when she was drunk," he said. "Why? What's she done now?"

I blushed sheepishly. "She said I should make you buy me a new car. I told her no, obviously."

Grayson brought the car to a stop and placed his hand on my thigh. "Good girl. We're not buying you a new car, don't worry."

I relaxed in my seat. "Then, what?"

"I'm buying myself a new car."

I paused. "But... This one's practically brand new."

"Which is why it's perfect for you." Grayson squeezed my leg affectionately. "I know it's safe, only one careful owner, and I won't rip you off."

I gaped. "Me? You... You can't just give me your car!"

"Well, not until the new one's delivered," Grayson reasoned. "I'm not walking to work every day."

"You can't–"

"Look..." Grayson turned in the seat to face me properly. "I don't like the idea of you meeting up with strangers from the internet in the hopes of finding a decent car. Consider this a favor to me, Kitten. I know that you're safe, and I have an excuse to waste money on a new car. One with tinted windows and a bigger backseat to fuck you in."

Blood rushed to my face so fast I was left dizzy. I mean, it wasn't like I hated the idea of hooking up in the backseat of some shiny new car with Grayson, but that he'd said it so brazenly when we were almost out in public was shocking. Then again, he hadn't paid much mind to kissing me while we'd been at the zoo, but that was out of town and the dealership probably had employees he knew in passing. It wasn't like we lived in the biggest place in the world.

"I –"

"You're welcome." Grayson leaned over and pecked his lips to mine in a chaste kiss. "You wait here. I've already been by a few times. I just need to sign some paperwork and make a payment. I'll be back soon."