Chapter 3: Olympus

"I suggest you hold your breath while we are passing through the Bifrost," Brunhilde said as she looked down at a modern phone.

You looked down on the phone, confusion settling as you wondered how your life turned so suddenly. "You have phones?" you asked.

"Of course. Just because humans evolved, doesn't mean that we have to be left behind." Brunhilde closed her phone. Her arms crossed her chest as she looked up, tapping her foot on the grass impatiently.

"How will I know exactly when to hold my breath-" as you were talking you felt yourself becoming lightheaded. Right before your eyes, a series of colors started to appear.

Brunhilde turned her head to look at you. "Now. You should hold your breath now," she said, taking your hand in hers.

You took a deep breath, closing your nose with your fingers. Closing your eyes, you felt your stomach sink as a force pulled you up. You felt Brunhilde tighten her hold on your hand. Slowly opening your eyes, flashes of colors zoomed past your eyes.

As you descended higher in the Bifrost, you almost forgot to hold your breath as you saw galaxies passing by. Stars could be seen floating by, their bright lights shining the more you drew closer to the end. Just as you were marveling at a galaxy with flashy red lights, it ended. You stood on a golden bridge that followed up a pair of white marble stairs.

"Come, we need to inform the rest of the Valkyrie. There will be a council in a few days — where the gods will decide whether humans should thrive for the next thousand years or if they should perish," she informed you.

"So that's why you want me to come with you," you said as the two of you started climbing the stairs.

"Not quite. I believe that I could help retrieve your memories from your previous lives. With you knowing your pasts and retrieving your memories, you might be a valuable asset to my plan in helping humanity overcome its downfall," she told you.

"Why do you want to help humanity? If you don't mind me asking."

"The Valkyrie are not gods, as you know. We are demigods. This means that we have a higher tie to humanity than any of the gods. Except for a couple who have lived with humans for a while. If humans die, we might as well not exist." She finished talking, leaving silence between the two of you.

Soon you reached the top of the staircase, where a carriage was waiting for you. Two pure white horses were tied to the carriage. You marveled at how beautiful they were, their white coats glistening in the sun.

"This will take you to where we will meet the rest of my sisters," Brunhilde said as she opened the door for you.

"And you? Where will you be?" you asked as you stepped inside.

"I have my own transportation. Don't worry, I will be there by the time you arrive," she said, closing the door. "Have a nice flight."

"Flight?" you asked. The horses began at a slow pace, then they began running. The carriage shook a little as the horses gained speed the more they ran. You looked out the little window, seeing how trees were passing in a blur. "Who is driving?!" you exclaimed as you moved to look out.

Your eyes widened as you saw a cliff at the end of the trial. When you searched for the driver, you found nothing. I'm dying. I knew I shouldn't have trusted a random magical person, you thought.

The carriage drew closer to the edge. You closed your eyes as you felt the carriage fall. You expected to have hit the ground by now, but all you heard were the flapping of large wings. Opening one eye, then the other, you saw you were indeed in the air, but you were not falling. Instead, you were gliding through the clouds. Poking your head through the window again, your mouth went agape as you saw wings sprouting from the horses in front.