Chapter 7: Ragnarok

The seven-million-year history of mankind is about to end.

It is not due to nuclear war or an invasion by an alien race, or even a collision with an asteroid. Mankind now faces its extinction, its end, at the hands of none other than the creators of mankind themselves, the gods.

In the council of Valhalla, all the gods sat around a single throne in the center of the room. Zeus sat on his dragon throne, holding a wooden gavel, his eyes sunken in as he visibly showed his age. Hermes stood by his side, holding two poles, each with its sign. One green circle and one red 'x'.

While the gods were busy discussing in the council of Valhalla, two demigods, or Valkyries, stood outside of the council waiting for their time to shine.

"The time has come, my sister, Brunhilde," Göll, the youngest, told her sister. They started walking to the entrance of the council, taking their time as Brunhilde felt anticipation with her plan coming into action.

Meanwhile, in the council, Zeus banged the wooden gavel against the small table on the side of his dragon throne. "Now then, everyone, 1,000 years already passed since the last session," Zeus spoke, his voice rough from old age. "Let us commence our meeting. The Council on the Fate of Mankind attended by all the gods of the world."

Zeus looked with a sinister look as he continued speaking. "The question is..." he paused, letting the tension rise. "...Do we allow mankind to continue to exist for the next 1,000 years..." Hermes held up the pole with the green circle, a pleasant smile on his face. "Or do we bring their existence to an end?" he asked. Hermes held up the red 'x', his smile turning into a small smirk. "Gods and goddesses, make your opinions known."

"Here's what I think," a voice said from the audience. Shiva, laying on a comfortable pillow, held up four red x's with his four arms. "They should be wiped," he answered simply. "I've watched them these last, 1,000 years, but they have zero intention of reforming. Let's demolish the whole lot of them."

"Yes, you are right, Shiva," Aphrodite said. "These past 1,000 years, the world has become increasingly unpleasant. The oceans are filled with trash and oil, the forests are dying out, and creatures continue to go extinct. You could even say mankind itself is a calamity that is annihilating all living things on the face of the earth." As soon as she finished talking, she held up a red x. The gods surrounding the council nodded along, some even shouting words of encouragement towards her statement.

"Aphrodite is right!"

"Mankind should be exterminated!"

"Those scums are a pestilence!"

"I'm weary of leading them."

Soon all the gods and goddesses held up the pole with the red x. They couldn't stand leading mankind anymore. All the horrible things done to the world were led by them, done by them, and controlled by them.

"Well, it seems we've come to a decision," Zeus spoke, lifting the wooden gavel in the air. "By unanimous vote, The Council on the Fate of Mankind has decided to end–"

Zeus was cut off by the doors to the Council slamming open. "Wait!"

The gavel, which was about to hit the small table, stopped midair. The force of the gavel stopping sends a gust of wind through the entire Council. Everyone looked up, seeing a determined Brunhilde and a small Göll standing by the side of her sister.

"What?"

"Who was that?"

"Well, if it isn't a Valkyrie."