10

Amelia walked into the house, hanging her coat while fumbling to place her keys in her purse. She was surprised that none of the kids had come to greet her once the sound of the door had been heard.

The sound of the tv droned. It seems as if multiple movies played on repeat. It was playing paranormal, an odd time of year for Halloween movies.

She slowly kicked off her shoes while walking to turn off the television. Her eyebrows were in question as the lights all seemed to be on but no one was in sight. The sound clicked off and her ears were immediately filled with distress.

The sounds of shrieking, pounding, and tears, muffled yet clearly being heard from the downstairs bathroom were heard. Amelia raced to the restroom while shoving the large coffee-like table away from the door, swinging it open to see the two young children, tear-stained faces, both leaning against the door.

"Auntie Amy!" Zola screamed while shoving her body into hers.

"What- why- why are you in the bathroom?" Amelia questioned. Her mind was baffled as Bailey slowly nuzzled his wet face into her neck, scared out of his mind.

"Mommy put us in there." Zola wailed. Amelia just shushed them while stroking their hair, hugging them close as they calmed down. Amelia wanted to go find Meredith, who was most deniably upstairs, but she didn't want to leave the kids.

"Okay, let's go in the living room." Amelia sighed while propping both of them into her hips and shuffling them to the couch.

"I'm going to call aunt Maggie, can you guys sit tight for a second?" Amelia questioned while propping them between some pillows to comfort them. They both nodded somberly while rubbing their wet faces.

Amelia walked into the kitchen while dialing Maggie, grabbing two juice boxes from the fridge as she did so.

"Amelia?" Maggie's voice clicked. Amelia could hear something ruffling in the background of their call.

"I need you to come to the house. I don't know where Meredith is and the kids were locked inside the bathroom, they are scared shitless, I... I don't know what to do." Amelia sighed while holding her cheek, a shaky feeling in her throat.

"Okay, I'm on my way, are the kids okay to be alone?" Maggie questioned while frantically packing her things.

"Uh, yeah, I'm sure I can entertain them with the tv... just," Amelia sighed while stroking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Be quick please." She pleaded before ending the line and bringing the juice she had to the kids.

"What do you want to watch?"

"Powerpuff girls!" Zola shouted happily while slamming her fists into her pillow with joy.

"Okay." Amelia smiled while switching to the show with the remote and setting the remote down, "I'll be back." She smiled while turning to the steps.

Her smile faded as she ventured up the stairs to the dark hallway, an almost eerie feeling washed over her as she crept down the corridor, flipping on the lights as she reached Meredith's room.

"Mer, are you in there?" She questioned while knocking on the door. She was fearful for what she would find, considering Meredith had endangered her own children, and most likely herself.

Taking a deep breath, she pushed open the door, immediately facing into the room and glancing along the floor.

"Oh, Jesus." She murmured while dropping down the body of the limp blonde. Her hair was a tangled mess, she had claw marks down her arms and one on her neck. There was bile on her face and she was slightly spasming.

Amelia felt for a pulse, grateful there was one and decided to call for an ambulance.

She heard the door opening downstairs and ran a hand through her hair.

"Maggie!" She shouted, a small panic in her throat.

Maggie raced up the stairs, her feet pounding into the carpet while quickly making it to Meredith's room.

"I think she had a seizure I- I called 911, an ambulance is in the way..." Amelia explained while stabilizing Meredith's head and holding it on her lap.

"Okay, okay... keep her head stable, I'll go check on the kids and wait for the ambulance," Maggie assured slowly while backing out of the room.

"Auntie Maggie." Zola smiled as Maggie entered the room, both kids were oblivious to the events happening just upstairs.

"Hi." She mustered a smile while crouching down in front of them.

"So, mommy got a boo-boo, so there is a big, scary ambulance coming but they're going to make her all better," Maggie explained while resting her hands on the kids' knees.

"Momma?" Bailey whispered confused.

"Is mommy okay?" Zola asked concerned while perking up, fidgeting immediately.

"Yes, mommy is going to be okay, but you two have to stay in here when the paramedics come so they can do their job," Maggie explained while rubbing her thumb on Zola's leg, soothing the agitated girl. "They'll be here soon, so we just have to wait."

The three sat in silence, Bailey had focused his attention back on the television but Zola was still fixated on the front door and bottom of the stairs.

Maggie tapped her finger on her thigh, waiting impatiently.

"There they are Aunt Maggie!" Zola exclaimed.

"You guys stay here," Maggie instructed while getting up, after noticing the blue and red lights her niece had noticed.

—————

"She's stable, fully catatonic but conscious... I- I don't know what to do." Amelia sniffled while rubbing her eyes, sitting on the bed in the on-call room.

Derek was silent, his mind in a frenzy. He didn't know what to say or do. He was angry they had downplayed Meredith's health so much.

"I- I want to be there but... Amelia, I have to go. I'll talk to you later." Derek sighed while hanging up. Amelia opened her mouth in shock while looking at the phone as it returned to her Home Screen.

How could Derek care so little? She was on the verge of a breakdown, Meredith's kids were terrified, and even people in the hospital that knew about her were worried.

Amelia stood, breathing a shaky sigh, sliding her phone back into her back pocket while walking out of the on-call room.

Nothing. They couldn't figure it out. Meredith was lost. A fish out of water. Unbeknownst to the world around her.

Amelia ran a hand through her hair as she walked wearily through the hall.

No explanations for the seizures, no explanation for the erratic attitude and crazy behavior. Just pure chaos. Amelia rounded the corner to the room that held her sister, seeing multiple doctors gathered around moving in and out, writing labs, taking vitals, and trying to see if there was anything to indicate a problem. Amelia kept on walking past the room, ignoring the haze she had just witnessed.

She pulled out her phone once again to check the time, seeing it was about dinner time. She kept on walking through the halls, ignoring the people around her until she made it to the entrance. Her goal at the moment was not to worry about Meredith. There was nothing they could do, but she needed to worry about her niece and nephew, and Maggie.

They could worry about Meredith the next day, but Amelia wanted to make sure that the kids that meant most to her in her life were okay. And she wanted to make sure she had a private place to freak out about her idiotic brother.

9/29/22

Word count: 1336
Hello! Sorry for such a long wait I realize it's been a couple of months since I've paid interest in this story. I had a very busy summer and I'm having a very busy fall starting up school and sports and activities outside of it but I'm back and I'm hoping to write some more, Sorry for the short chapter, stay happy
-Nadia :)