11

"Meredith? Can you hear me?" Bailey shined her light in unresponsive eyes of Meredith. Nothing her mind was blank, her body unmoving.

Bailey sighed while placing the penlight back in her white coats pocket and going back to the chart at the end of her cot.

"Nothing." She held her forehead while going to sit on the chair next to the dirty blonde.

"Any changes?" Amelia questioned while walking into the patient's room. Bailey shook her head.

"Any news from Derek?" Bailey inquired back. Amelia rolled her eyes while sitting on the end of Meredith's bed.

"No." She whispered, "You'd think he and Meredith weren't even married." Amelia implied.

"I'm calling a doctor in from New York," Bailey added after a moment of silence. "He specializes in neurological disruptions and has helped discover multiple cases in the past," Bailey explained while clicking the pen in her hand over and over.

"What's his name?" Amelia questioned.

"Dr. Souhel Najjar. He'll be here in the next 3 days." Bailey replied.

"Great that's... great." Amelia smiled sadly while holding Meredith's hand.

Bailey stood slowly while placing the pen in her hands back on the chart.

"I'll leave you two alone."

Amelia sighed while squeezing Meredith's hand, watching as she blinked slowly. Her eyes widened slightly as Meredith squeezed back.

Her hand was moving.

Her catatonic phase was in full force still but her small completions came back momentarily.

"Hang in there, Mer." Amelia sighed while patting her hand and standing and backing out of the room as well.

She still had other patients to tend to but she also had the duty of leaving Derek another voicemail.

—————

"Bailey's calling in a specialist from New York. He specializes in neurological abnormalities and has a Lasker Award." Richard explained while sitting in front of the numerous scans on the screens, staring at Maggie's restless eyes. Everything was normal, with no inflictions. It was demeaning to a doctor to know they couldn't help in any way.

"Okay." She nodded, swallowing whatever resided in her dry throat. She felt like this was the final shoe in her already eventful life. They knew Meredith wasn't well but they never expected it to take the turn it had. She was gone, a void of her former self. But Maggie knew she was still in there, clawing her way through the painful territory that overrides her present self.

"It's going to be okay." Richard squeezed her limp shoulder lightly before walking out of the room. And now it was as if Maggie was alone. Meredith couldn't be much company if her own mind drove into a comatose state, yet more just unmoving as her eyes remained open and just stained across the room like grey bullets.

Like sleep paralysis. Or maybe she's just finally reached her psychotic break.

Maggie smiled softly while sitting at her bedside, lifting her sister's frail hand. Her bones were light, and her veins popped, she had a ghastly appearance, probably from exhaustion, maybe from lack of nutrition.

Maggie rubbed her thumbs on Meredith's palm and just stared at her hallow eyes. "It's going to be okay. I know you're still in there." Maggie's leg the corner of her lips ruse but they fell quickly. There were a lot of alone moments, and not a lot of people came to visit. It was depressing. Just not something everyone wanted to be around.