12

"She's having another seizure!" Amelia yelled while racing into Meredith's room from the nurse's station. Her monitor was blaring as she trembled in the bed, convulsing rapidly. This was the sixth one in only the past two days. As she deteriorated, her seizures increased.

The doctors came to her side, and a couple of nurses as well. Amelia held her at her side, her mouth began to foam onto the pillow. She shook her head with sad eyes. She didn't know how much more she could take.

"It's taking too long, push 50mg of Lorazepam." Amelia snapped to the nurses, holding down Meredith's vigorously shaking body that wasn't seeming to slow. A nurse rushed out to the pharm cart to get it. It had been a couple of minutes surely as her seizure rode out, and a nurse returned to push the drug through her IV.

Amelia let out a relieved sigh as her body stopped convulsing, a line of spit pooled out of her mouth, she quickly wiped her off and let her body lay flat. Her eyes remained closed and her body was limp.

"Thank you." She whispered down, thankful it had ended. The nurses gathered their things and left, Amelia checked to assure that she didn't wet the bed and that she was comfortable.

"I have great news, Mer." Amelia sighed while sitting on the edge of the bed, wiping some of her hair off her forehead.

The sound of the heart monitor beeped steadily, and other machines hummed, but other than that was complete silence.

"The doctor that specializes in brains like yours is coming today. He's going to help us figure out how to help you." Amelia explained, squeezing Meredith's forearm.

Meredith's eyes slowly opened, the bags underneath them were huge, and the whites of them were a shade of pink, bloodshot from the seizure.

"I know it hurts," Amelia whispered. She actually didn't know it hurt. She didn't know anything about what Meredith was feeling, but she could only assume all the pains going through her brain and body. And the small bundle of tears that fell down her cheeks attributed to Amelia's belief. "We're gonna help you." She assured while wiping the water off her face. Meredith's eyes slowly moved, finishing their way to reach Amelia's.

Amelia gasped as her eyes reached hers. "Meredith? Did you do that?" Amelia asked while lifting her eyelids and shining a penlight in them. When she stopped Meredith's eyes found hers again. She could see through them. The screaming, agonizing pain.

Amelia muffled a gasp as she stood quickly, feeling Meredith's fingers grasp at her hand, "I'm here. It is okay. Can you speak?" Nothing. No response. Amelia gripped her hand and squeezed it tight, lifting it in the air.

Meredith blinked a couple of times, a wheezy intake filled her throat as her mouth was slightly ajar, her eyes were glazed but still staring at Amelia. Amelia let a few of her tears fall, seeing the struggle in her sister's eyes.

"D..." Meredith muttered. Amelia nodded while holding her hand in her lap and sitting back on the bed, squeezing it tightly with two hands.

"Try again, Mer," Amelia whispered. Meredith's eyes fell back to the ceiling and her breathing sounded struggled. "Please, Mer. Say it. Try again." She pleaded while shaking her hand, a tear falling from her chin and landing on the bedsheets. But nothing.

"God." Amelia gritted with shaky breathing. She stood quickly and paced to the other sir of the room. Her chest was tight with not only sadness and anger but fear. What if there was no way to fix this?

She gripped the door handle and looked back at her sister's simple form before turning and leaving the room.

—————