Chap 3 "Busy Weekend"

Kelly's POV

I took personal time to go and watch Esme's auditions. I was watching from the counter. After the first dance, she walked over to me. "How you holding up?" I asked.

"Well, since they're using my space, I'm not really allowed to win, but I can't participate in the audition," Esme replied as she took a drink of her water. "Kind of pointless when I'm not going to win. I'd rather be on our weekend getaway right now."

"What stopping you?" I asked.

"She has to be here," Bree replied. "Any big event like this, she has to be here."

"And everyone that gets through the audition has to come back next weekend. I didn't realize it was going to be so many people since it was last minute," Esme sighed. "That's what I get for doubting the power of social media."

"You're doing great," I nodded. Esme went back to the auditions. "She needs to stop over working herself."

"Esme likes to keep herself busy," Bree stated.

"Why?" l asked. "She's worked really hard to get where she is." I looked at Bree. "She needs a break."

"You don't know, do you?" Bree asked.

"What?" I asked.

"Esme had a younger brother who passed away in a house fire. He was three and she was ten," Bree stated.  "She thought he was right behind her, but before she could go back, the house collapsed." I looked at Esme. "She blames herself for not letting him go before her."

"I didnt know that," I nodded. "I thought this was the only fire she was in."

"And that comment tells me that you haven't slept with her," Bree smirked. I looked at her. "Esme has a burn mark on her upper inner thigh."

"How long have you known her?"

"Four years," Bree nudded. "I'm one of her best friends."

"I'm going to go get somethings for Esme," I stated. "Tell her I'll be back at closing."

"I'll let her know," Bree replied. "Don't do anything stupid."

"I won't," I stated. I drove to the firehouse and pulled Gabby and Sylvie aside. "I have a question."

"All you had to do was ask," Sylvie replied.

"What should I get Esme?" I asked. They were confused. "It's our anniversary weekend, alright?"

"For how long?" Gabby asked.

"This is our third month." I replied.

"A bouquet of roses and chocolate," Sylvie shrugged. "But Esme doesn't seem like one to care about that stuff. She likes quality time." I looked at Sylvie. "We didn't even know you guys were dating, but she has told us her thoughts."

"Take her at to a nice dinner tonight," Gabby nodded. "Talk to Casey. Maybe he can get you guys into a nice resturant."

"I'm not asking for help," I sighed. "Well, gift ideas for me to get. Not for Casey to get me a table."

"You're asking us," Gabby stated.

"Never mind," I nodded. I went back to my place to brainstorm ideas. Hours passed, but I haven't gotten anything from Esme. "I have to go check on her."

Jay's POV

As soon as I pulled into the driveway, my phone rang. I looked at who it was and picked up. "Hey, Esme," I smiled.

"Jay, someone just tried to rob me," Esme stated. "I'm at work."

"I'm on my way, " I stated. I hung up and drove to her work place. I got out of my car and ran up to her and gave her a hug. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's just a minor flesh wound," Esme stated as she held her arm. "The guy's inside."

"Alive?" I asked.

"Unconscious," Esme replied.

"'Let's get you wrapped up," I nodded. We walked over to my car and I wrapped up her wound. "You don't need stitches. " I looked around at all the lights. "I guess you're used to this, huh?"

"You're the only one that knows, Jay," Esme looked at me. "Kelly doesn't even know."

"Hey, I don't need a story, okay?" I looked at her. "As long as you're okay." Kelly pulled up. "I am a bit surprised you didn't call him first." Kelly got out of his car. "Do you want me to stay?"

"No, it's fine," Esme stated. Kelly walked up to her. "Hey."

"What happened here?" Kelly asked.

"I was robbed," Esme sighed. "I gave my statement already. I just wanna go home and take tomorrow off." I looked at her. "Jay, I promise I am fine."

"I worry about you," I replied.

"Its fine," Esme stated. "I'll call Bree and tell her not to open tomorrow."

"What about the auditions?" Kelly asked.

"Oh, we got all that done," Esme nodded. "They're not coming back next week."

"Okay," Kelly nodded. "If that's the case, I'll work tomorrow."

"That's fine," Esme replied.

"I gotta get going, but call me if you need anything, okay?" I looked at her. I gave her a hug. "Lunch tomorrow, on me? It's been awhile since I got you food."

"Yeah," Esme nodded. "I'll text you."

"Great," I smiled. "I'll see you later."