Chap 5 "Birthday Things"

Esme's POV

I was helping Bree decorate my building. "Thanks for helping me with this," I sighed. "I wasn't going to be able to decorate this place alone."

"Yeah, I got you," Bree smiled. "I sent out a mass e-mail this morning to your friends."

"Thanks," I smiled. Gabby walled in with Sylvie. "Hey. You're a little early to the party."

"We just stopped by to see how you're doing," Sylvie smiled. "We just heard from Severide that he broke up with you."

"I thought you broke up with him," Bree pointed.

"I did. I broke up with him, so he's lying to you guys," I nodded. I grabbed a stack or invitations from the counter. "I'll come by the firehouse later." I took Kelly's invitation from the pile and handed the stack to Gabby. "Everyone has one. Entry by invitation only."

"We wanted you to come by Molly's tonignt," Gabby nodded. "Free drinks for the birthday  girl."

"Thanks, but no thanks," I smiled. "I'm m actually having a party tonight. That's what the invitations are for.

"Okay, how about this weekend?" Gabby asked.

"Going on a trip," I shrugged. "I'm sorry, guys. I'm booked." Gabby and Sylvie left. Bree and I got done decorating the place. I looked around. "We did good."

"Yes, we did," Bree smiled.

"I'll be back in about an hour," I replied. I grabbed two back stage passes to Beyonce's next tour date in Chicago. I grabbed Kelly's invitation and drove to firehouse Fifty One. I walked inside and I didn't see Kelly. "Can someone tell me where Kelly is?" Everyone stayed quiet. "First one to tell me gets two backstage passes to Beyonce's next concert in Chicago."

"Office next to the beds," Joe stated.

"Thanks, Cruz," I smiled as I handed him the passes. I went to Kelly's office and knocked. He opened the door. "Hey."

"So, why wasn't I invited to this party of yours?" Kelly asked.

"You are," I stated it as I handed him an invitation. "I know we haven't talked since the break up, but I'm here to ask why you've been telling everyone that you broke up with me?" He looked at me. "You act like it's not a big deal. It's been six months. Do you realize, just because we're not together anymore, I still talk to people here? Sylvie, Gabby and I are really good friends."

"Why would I be spreading rumors?" Kelly asked. "You are actually one good thing that happened to me." I crossed my arms. "I made a mistake. Can you blame me? I miss having you around."

"No, we are not doing this anymore," I pointed. "Whatever it is, I'm done with it. We can still be friends, but that's it." I turned around to leave and ended up colliding with Stella. "I am so sorry."

"No, it's totally my fault," Stella nodded. "So, maybe you can help me."

"What's up?" I asked.

"Hope, Connie's assistant, gave everyone a paycheck but me," Stella stated. "I'm sure I get a paycheck just like everyone else."

"Yeah, you work here," I nodded. She looked at me. "You want me to snoop?"

"She did get me a replacement, but I would like to know where the other one went," Stella's sighed. "She seems like bad news and I don't want to take it to Brett if I'm wrong." She looked at her watch. "I gotta go. My shift at HQ starts effective immediately."

"I'll hang around for a little bit," I nodded as I got our my phone. I sent Bree a text. "Consider it done." I smiled and went to see Boden. "Hi, Wallace."