011 The backyard talk

(Ima sorry it's just he looks like a dad with a comb over.)

On the ride back to the wheelers everything was quite

On the ride back to the wheelers everything was quite. Dustin of course got to shotgun before Sydney did so she had to sit in the back. She did not mind at the moment she could keep her sister safe when back there.

Max was still in shock from the experience. Who wouldn't be. But Sydney knew something was on the girls mind. Max's head was on Sydney's shoulder. Sydney being shorter than Lucas meant that she has to sit in the middle. Max kept looking at her then the window then back at her.

Steve also kept a close eye on the two girls. They are probably the most important things in his life at the moment. Other than Dustin and Robin. But these two girls. Where his family. His parents weren't ever really there always on trips that lasted months. When younger he would stay with his grandma. But she past freshman year. So he had been on his own ever since.

It was funny to Steve how similar they are. The two girls had the same personality. They even looked similar even with not being blood related.

Steve could tell how worried his girlfriend was. The way she would look at max every few minutes to make sure she was still with her. The way the two girl smiled at one another. The way they would have similar comebacks.

They were they best of siblings. Steve knew that Max was all that Sydney had left besides himself. He knew something bad happened in Florida. But he can't put his finger on it. He also dose not want to ask.

They pulled into the driveway of the wheelers and the group jumped out. They headed to the basement. Nancy gave Sydney a pare of pants to wear to bed the girls clothing was muddy form the events that happened earlier in the day.

Sydney was about the change when she heard a light knock on the door. "Sydney?" The sound of Max's voice echoed through her ears. "Can I talk to you? Alone."

"Yeah is everything ok?" She opened the bathroom door. Sydney heard the sound of fear in the girls voice. "Let's talk out side yeah?"

The two girls made their way to the front of the house and sat on the steps.

"Are- are you ok?" Max shaky voice was weak. Sounding like she had been crying.

"Yes I ok why do you ask I should be asking you that." Sydney told the girl.

"He- asked me if I knew what happened to you. Did Neil hurt you?" Max's big eyes started into Sydney's. The 15 year old looked at her sister. Sydney's eyes with brimming with tears. Sydney gave the girl a sad smile. She let her head fall as she looked at the ground. The young adult not wanting to look in her sisters eyes.

"Yeah he did." Sydney didn't want to lie to the girl just for her to find out later. She never wanted to lie to Steve about it she just didn't want to make him pity her more.

"That's why you came here isn't it?" The two girls turned around to see Nancy standing behind them. Sydney "Dose Steve know?" Sydney shakes her head at Nancy.

"Before billy died. He took the heat from our father. Never really let him touch me. Except the one night. It was the night you and Steve broke up. Billy was passed out drunk and I was walking home. So steve pulled over and drove me home. That night was the first night he hit me." Sydney explained. Max witnessed this the one time. She was walking in the house after she was with Lucas and Dustin. And saw him hitting her. "Then when billy died he moved on to Susan then they got a divorce. And we moved then it was up to me. I was working 3 jobs. Buying the food. Paying rent. And that still wasn't enough for him." Tears flooded down the girls face. The girl did not realize that Steve. Heard the last little bit of the story.

"You were never in a car crash were you?" Steve's voice boomed the three girls all turned to face him he looked sad.

"Come on." Nancy told Max. Nancy wanted to give them time to talk it though. Sydney watch the other girls disappear into the house.

Steve walked up to the girl and sat next to her. He looked at her. Steve looked at the girl before she broke into tears. Steve took the girls head into his hands and pressed her head to his chest.

"Oh lovely."
————