80

MIKE

Mike awoke early with his back twisted in knots from the uncomfortable cot provided by the people inside Castle's walls. After extending his invitation, Paige's friend, Stan, showed them the safe route Mystic prepared through the dock. It bypassed all of Milton Hewes' traps and roadblocks, coming back out through a gap in the wall to the parking lot at the foot of Fort Independence.

Unfortunately, that was as far as they went. Armed escorts from the fort delivered beds and firewood for the group's overnight camp by the trucks. There was no mention of allowing them inside. Instead, Mystic watched the newcomers suffer through a cold, uncomfortable night from the safety of their walls. After what happened at the power plant, Mike supposed their reception could have been a lot chillier.

He groaned and stretched from the side of the bed, realigning his spine into its proper shape. Lying in the cot next to his, Eve popped open her eyes and stared at him with a tired smile.

"Morning," he whispered, leaning over to kiss her on the cheek. Thanks to a frigid wash in the bay and a change of clothing from Stan, the worst she had to endure was his morning breath.

"Good morning." She shivered. "Brrr... What happened to the heat from yesterday?"

Mike rubbed his arms through his oversized, used jacket. "Yeah. I guess that's all the Indian Summer we're getting this year. Back to our typical Boston cold spell."

She yawned, sat up, and peered around at the other people curled up around the dwindling campfires dotting the parking lot. "Do you suppose we'll get something to eat today?"

"I hope so. Otherwise, we're going to have to head out and try to find something. I'm not sure we have the fuel or ammunition for that."

"You're awake. Good." Denise's voice coming up behind him made Mike start. She didn't notice. From her distant expression, she probably wasn't seeing much outside her bubble of grief. "Stillson brokered a meeting with this Milton guy, the brains of the operation. He'll meet the colonel, but only on the condition that you come too."

"Me?"

Denise shrugged. "You were on the bridge during the negotiations."

"And we all know how that turned out. I don't think—"

"You should go," Eve said. "They'll probably open up to you quicker than they will a man in uniform."

Mike sighed. He could only hope that Milton Hewes was more reasonable than Emerson had been; otherwise, there was no reason to believe this situation wouldn't end the same as their negotiations at the power plant.

"Fine. I'll do what I can."

He spotted Paige approaching with her thumbs hooked into the straps of her backpack and wondered how much of their conversation she caught. She didn't leave him guessing for too long.

"Maybe I should go too," she suggested. "If they're still hung up on what happened to their friends, I can set the record straight."

"That won't be necessary, but thanks," Mike replied. "Our two groups have bigger differences than that to reconcile."

"That's why I'm not letting you and the colonel walk in there alone," Denise said. "I'll be accompanying you with some extra firepower, just in case."

"That'll go down well with our hosts."

Denise sniffed. "Tough. I'm too cold to give a fuck about hurting their feelings."

***

Despite the absence of a strong military presence standing against them this time, the folks from Mystic still weren't taking any chances. Mike, Denise, and Colonel Hayes found themselves facing Ed Stillson and an armed, angry-looking party outside the doors to the fort's south entrance. Mike glanced at Denise, hoping she didn't get any ideas with that assault rifle hooked over her shoulder. Every man here looked ready to drill the three of them full of holes for what happened at the power plant.