9

DANIELLE

While the rest of the army convoy continued on, one of the APCs stopped at the visitor center and directed Drew and the others to turn right into a parking lot. The paved lot next to the base pharmacy was full, so Robin followed Drew's SUV down a narrow channel of cars to an unpaved parking area. After a bit of hunting for space, she finally found a spot between a battered Prius and a bloodstained Silverado.

"Made it," she sighed, killing the engine.

Danielle reached between the seats for her things. She produced her shotgun and backpack a moment later. "What do you think? Should we bring our stuff now, or wait until we get settled in?"

"Leave the gun," Robin said. "In fact, hide it under your seat after we get out."

"Hide it?"

Robin nodded at the soldiers patrolling the lot. "If you bring it, they'll confiscate it. If you leave it out in the open, someone might steal it. So..." She removed her 9mm handgun and stuffed it under her seat between her legs. "Hide it."

"Gotcha."

They gathered the rest of their essentials and climbed out of the Bronco. Robin waited for Danielle to stash her weapons before locking the doors behind them. Then, they ventured off to meet up with the others.

They found the rest of their group standing at the edge of the paved parking lot, speaking with one of the soldiers posted on guard. He pointed them in the direction of the largest of the buildings across the street. Apparently, Drew, Charlie, and her mother had the same idea as Robin and left their weapons behind. Judith was the only one of the bunch who made the mistake of taking her rifle with her. She was still arguing with the soldier who took it from her when Danielle and Robin arrived.

"You have no right," she squealed at the man in fatigues. "It's mine."

"Guns are forbidden inside the civilian shelter, ma'am," the soldier informed her. "If you wish to leave it behind in your vehicle—"

"I do wish that," she snapped. "Give it back."

He held it out to her. She snatched it from his hand, muttering something under her breath. "I'll be right back," she said.

Maureen nodded. "We'll wait."

Danielle slung the pack over her shoulder and joined the kids. Emily and Lee stared north, towards the airfield, at the multitude of voices carrying on the wind. The din from the assembly was a senseless murmur of shouts, laughter, and arguing. It was so long since they heard anything other than the dull drone of undead moans that it hardly seemed real.

"Are you guys okay?" she asked them.

Lee nodded.

"Are we going to be safe here?" Emily asked.

Danielle placed a hand on her sister's shoulder. "I think so. I mean, if we can't be safe with the army protecting us, where can we be safe?"

Emily didn't respond. She pursed her lips and returned to staring in the direction of the boisterous crowd.

Presumably sharing her concerns, Lee spoke up instead. "What about all that noise?" he asked. "It's going to attract the dead."

"I wouldn't worry. They have fences all around the camp. Plus, the army's cleared out every zombie for miles. They'll never hear us." Since they remained unconvinced, Danielle added, "Even if one did happen to show, the military will deal with it before it becomes an issue. They've got all kinds of firepower here. Enough to stop most anything that comes our way."