25

CHARLIE

"Man, these people," Robin muttered. "You'd think they never saw a dog before."

Charlie cast a sideways glance at her as they walked through the camp together. Around them, young and old alike smiled and pointed at Rusty. Some of them even came over to pet the dog and ask their usual barrage of questions. What was his name? Breed? Age? And, of course, the one on everyone's mind: how did he manage to survive the apocalypse?

The dog's owner took it all in stride. Rusty's stardom came from probably being the only living pet most of these people had seen since the world ended. If meeting him provided survivors with a modicum of hope for the future, Charlie was okay with parading him around the camp for their amusement.

Besides, it wasn't as though Rusty minded the extra attention doted upon him. His wagging tail was probably wearing out after all the head scratches and kind words people gave him.

"He's a big hit around here," Charlie said. "At least until someone arrives with a cuter dog."

"Aw, not possible," she cooed, smiling at Rusty. "Right, buddy? You're the cutest one of all."

Rusty panted and flapped his bushy tail. It was a good thing the dog didn't understand fluent English, or his overinflated ego might burst.

"Thanks for joining me this morning, Robin," Charlie said. "I know you probably had other things you'd rather be doing. It seems like everybody is finding a place to fit in here lately."

"Not me," she replied. "When I'm not babysitting the kids, I mostly spend my time wandering around, talking to folks and getting a feel for how bad things are elsewhere. I met a couple from Salem the other day. You ever been there?"

Charlie shook his head.

"Me neither. Always wanted to go on one of them witch tours, but I could never find the time. I guess that's not going to happen now."

"I always wanted to see Disneyland," Charlie admitted.

"You haven't? Damn, you missed out." Robin's shoulders sagged. "Seems a shame that all that effort is just rusting away now."

"Even if they did start up the rides, the only crowds it'd bring in now are the ones you don't want around."

"Stupid zombies," Robin grumbled. "They really made a mess of tourism, didn't they?"

Charlie eyed a group of young children standing off to the side of the thoroughfare. They appeared hesitant about coming over to meet Rusty, so he waved them over for a closer look. "Looks like we're the tourist attraction now," he said. "Hey kids, this is Rusty."

Robin and Charlie stopped to let them all have a chance to stroke the dog's fur. Rusty basked in every second of the attention the excited kids lavished on him.

Meanwhile, Robin eyed his master. "So why do I get the impression that I'm not the one you were hoping to have accompany you this morning?"

"Huh?"

Her grin widened. "Come on. Don't think I haven't noticed you looking at Danielle. Admittedly, it was mainly because I was looking at her too, but still..."

Charlie frowned. "In that case, you probably noticed the guy she left for breakfast with this morning. Curly hair. Kinda looks like her old boyfriend. I guess she has a type."

"Ah, too bad. With Judith no longer up for grabs and Maureen off doing her Doctors Within Borders thing, looks like everyone's occupied these days. Guess that just leaves you and me." Before he could respond, she leaned in and whispered in his ear, "Don't get any ideas, hot rod. For the record, I don't even remotely swing that way."