11

TOMMY

Tommy DiMarco strode across the unpolished tile floor of his family's estate with his head so high it practically brushed the ceiling. His father may have been the one pulling the strings before things took a turn for the worst, but he was the one the men answered to now in all matters related to security. After Carmine DiMarco finished walling up the compound, he left the daily supervision of their protection to his only son, heir to the DiMarco name.

About fucking time, too, Tommy figured. The don ruled the crime family for years. All it took was the rule of law to come to a violent end before the miserly old bastard finally saw fit to bestow a smidgen of power to his progeny.

At least dear old dad picked him and not his asshole sister. She'd probably keep every man busy scouring Boston for clothes, makeup, and emo music.

Erica. He snorted derisively at the thought of her. Not even a world gone to Hell could thaw out that icy bitch. He tried patching things up with her after their mom died, but soon realized it was a lost cause. She was a DiMarco, through and through. Quick to anger, slow to forgive, and impossible to love.

So be it, he thought. There were plenty of other women in the household he'd rather spend his time with anyway.

Though Graves kept Eve mostly occupied for now, he did manage to run into her from time to time. Her toned body was always a feast for the eyes. He was looking forward to developing a more intimate relationship with her after she finished her training.

Perhaps he'd make her his personal bodyguard-slash-assistant. If the thought of remaining safe behind these walls wasn't appealing enough for her, he could imagine a few other perks that might be more to her liking. They were going to be very close, the two of them; of that, he had no doubt.

In the meantime, he wasn't exactly starved for affection. His father could be a controlling son of a bitch, but Tommy had to hand it to him. He had excellent taste in bimbos. The honey he bedded and wedded shortly after their mother died was a wet dream for any red-blooded man. Big fake boobs. Long red hair. Legs that wouldn't quit. Mona DiMarco was really too much of a woman for his doddering old dad to handle on his own. The milf needed a young stud to keep that smile plastered to her cover girl face.

It was a bit of a sacrifice, but if he had to, he'd shoulder that burden for the good of the family.

He spotted a flash of pink through the front window by the door and smiled. Speak of the devil. As usual, Mona took in the night air out on the step, while her yapping fur ball Pomeranian roamed around, shitting all over the yard.

Better make sure she doesn't catch a chill, he thought with a smirk.

Tommy changed course and headed for the exit. The sound of shoes tapping on the floor reached him before he could slip outside.

"Mr. DiMarco," a voice called out behind him.

He stopped to find one of his father's men standing before him in a threadbare, stained suit. Tommy didn't recall his name. He stared at the disheveled thug with mild annoyance.

"Yes?"

"Sorry to bother you, sir, but I thought you should know. One of our men has gone missing."

Tommy hiked a brow. "Who?"

"It's Harris. Nobody's seen him since his group returned from foraging this afternoon."

The name didn't ring any bells for Tommy. Hardly surprising since all of his father's goons looked pretty much the same to him.

"Did you speak to the others on his team?" he asked.

"I did. They're certain he returned with them, but he never showed up for dinner and his bunk is still empty."