95

LILY

Lily rubbed the ache in her back and wondered how much longer their vigil on Castle's ramparts would last. Her baby was heavy, her feet were tired, and standing out in the cold watching the ravenous horde circulate below wore on her spirit as badly as her body.

She glanced at Maureen. Her friend studied the undead throng over a pair of dark bags under her eyes. As the only skilled medical professional in the fort, she possessed more concerns than anyone. With the ghouls attacking, the potential cost in lives would be high, as would the drain on their already limited hospital resources.

Maureen noticed her attention and asked, "Are you all right? Do you need to sit down?"

"I'm fine," Lily lied. "You look worse than I do."

"The clinic's been busy with patients." She gazed out at the misshapen figures occupying the yard. The dead either lurched or sprinted everywhere they looked. In a lower voice, she added, "I guess that's about to change."

"Hey, chin up. We've been through worse." Lily painted on a smile and hoped it looked real. "We're going to have to start training nurses to help out. Any likely candidates come to mind?"

Maureen exhaled sharply. "A couple, perhaps. One of the women here was a dental assistant. Another was an executive aide. They both have useful skills and experience."

"Excuse me," someone interrupted nearby.

Both women looked to the person standing further down the wall. Lily only knew Doctor Bradshaw by his association with Doctor Mueller, but she recognized him instantly.

"Sorry, but I couldn't help overhearing," he said. "I don't have an extensive medical background, but seeing as how there isn't much call for a virologist around here and I barely know one end of a gun from the other, I'd be happy to help out if I could."

"Thank you, doctor. Your help would be greatly appreciated," Maureen replied.

Bradshaw smiled and nodded. He and Maureen both seemed pleased by the opportunity.

"Well, that makes one," Lily smiled. "We should reach out to the others. See if—"

"Mom?" Danielle's voice cut her off.

The women turned to find not only Maureen's daughter standing there, but Charlie and Richard as well. The troubled-looking kids disturbed her so much that the baby in her belly twitched excitedly.

Maureen likely felt the same thing she did. Her initial reaction was concern. "Dani. What is it? What's wrong?"

Charlie responded in Danielle's place. "We're gathering everyone for a meeting. The others are waiting for us now. There's been a development."

"What kind of development?" Maureen asked.

"The kind that might save our bacon."

At this, even the eavesdropping Doctor Bradshaw perked up and took notice.

"Mom, you're going to want to hear him out," Danielle insisted.

Maureen exchanged glances with Lily. "Okay. Lead on."

She headed off with the children. Lily glanced at Bradshaw. He stared back at her with hiked eyebrows, looking eager to join them but not wanting to impose. He seemed like a nice guy. She smiled and made a mental note to keep him in the loop if it turned out to be something good.

As if sensing something was up, the dead roared at her feet. Lily studied the man-eating throng moving restlessly across the expanse of frozen grass and pavement. Below them, a ghoul had thrown itself against the icy wall and tried to scramble up. It didn't get far before slipping off and landing on its back.