48. Enemy

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

'Oliver?'

'Yes...?'

'You can hear me?'

'I can,' I muttered, feeling... I felt like I had no body. I was nothing floating in nothingness. 'Hades?'

'It's me,' the old god said, his voice heavy. 'I wasn't sure if you could hear me. I've tried to get through to you for quite some time now, but that man was disturbing our connection.'

'You were able to hear me the entire time?' I asked.

'I did, yes,' he spoke quietly. 'To think he was able to sever our connection like that...'

'How can he be so strong...?' I whispered, but he didn't reply to me. 'Did you see what he did to me?'

'I watched when he took the part of the Echo. And your soul. I wished I could've stopped him.'

'Same... It didn't feel great...'

'But he couldn't take your strength,' Hades said with pride in his voice. 'I have a feeling he did not think this through. Your spirit cannot be controlled, especially the shadow part. He will soon learn that.'

'So if the shadow part of me is gone...?'

'That means you lost your shadow powers.'

'Fuck...'

'Indeed. But now your soul is safe from the corruption.'

'What is left of it...' I muttered. 'What happens to me now? My spirit is still in pain.'

'The wound will heal, but you will feel the emptiness inside you.'

'Can I get the other half back?'

'Yes, but... It won't be easy. The corruption is in control now, and I doubt it will want to return to you. The Echo has to be removed first, but... No one has ever managed to split an Echo like that before. We have no idea what that will cause.'

'Great... This is just great...'

'I'm sorry, Oliver. I wish I'd been there to protect you. I wish I could give you tools to protect yourself.'

I stayed silent and just floated for a while, trying to wrap my head around what had just happened.

'It happened so easily... He just kidnapped us... I know he's strong enough to defeat me. I couldn't even hurt him! He made a mistake this time but there is nothing we can do to actually stop–'

'No. You stop. He made more than one mistake today. Mistakes that cost him a lot."

I doubted his words. 'What mistakes?'