✴Chapter 20✴

"The older you get, the more fragile you understand life to be. I think that's a good motivation for getting out of bed joyfully each day"

--Julia Roberts

✴✴✴

     Izuku sat nervously in the front row. Masaru sat beside him, sparing a few glances to look at the back of the church doors to see if Katsuki was ready yet. Izuku didn't know exactly how to feel about him at the moment, but he pushed it off in the "worry about it later" pile on his brain. 

     As of now, he was busy trying to spot either Princess Ochaco or Prince Shoto. He bit his lip nervously, bouncing his leg up and down--his whole being tense. He felt himself sweating, which he was angry at himself for because Itsuka and his other servants had spent a while on his makeup.

     But with all the people in the church building, Izuku couldn't make out their forms. 

     Masaru sighed, seeing Izuku's bouncing knee, his sweating, contorted face, and his anxious glances around the room. Masaru bit his tongue, looking at the floor in shame. At the time, it seemed reasonable. 

     Looking back, Masaru almost found it humorous. How stupid of himself to think that it would solve any problems. It just caused even more for his future son-in-law and his son. 

     Masaru espied Izuku, watching as Izuku struggled to keep a steady breathing pattern going. 

     He knew that 'I'm sorry' was not enough, but he couldn't think of anything else to say. 

     "I'm sorry, Izuku," he voiced aloud, but before he could continue the back doors of the church burst open, revealing a very proud looking Katsuki that walked down the center aisle of the church in all his royal regalia. 

     When Katsuki got to the very front of the church, he turned and stood with pride in his eyes. Despite his calm face, he was scanning the room slowly, but similar to Izuku's predicament, because of so many people, he couldn't see either of the two royals.

     As his eyes landed on Izuku, Izuku beamed at him, trying to swallow down his nervousness and giving his mate a beautiful smile. 

     The two broke eyes contact, however, as the cleric carefully handed Katsuki the Sovereigns Scepter and the Sovereign's Orb.

     Katsuki recited his oath, and as he did so, Izuku finally spotted him. Prince Shoto Todoroki with a deep scowl across his face. Why did he even bother to come if he so obviously wasn't here to be entertained? Izuku wondered, then quickly found the answer as it might consider his kingdom cowardly, seeing as Shoto was the heir to the throne despite his two older brothers. 

     When Izuku was driven out of his thoughts, the crowning had already passed, and the whole church erupted in applause at the new king. 

     "All hail the new king of Ichiban! All hail the king!" 

✴✴✴

     The banquet for the coronation was not until later at night, so all who attended were able to rest in rooms provided by the new king. The Ichiban palace was huge--seeing as the kingdom was even bigger--so all the guests were able to rest and prepare for the ball that night. Even the villagers from the nearby areas were able to attend.

     Izuku found himself laying down on his grand bed, trying to calm his spiking nerves. His assaulter was somewhere in this castle. He gulped anxiously. He could be right down the hall. He would see him at the ball tonight. 

     He squeezed his eyes shut. He needs to do this. Today is supposed to be one full of happiness--he was supposed to be congratulating his mate's success and celebrating. Instead, he excused himself to stray away from the large crowd to take a breather. 

     He heard a knock at the door, and it brought Izuku out of his thoughts. "Who is it?" he asked, turning his head. 

     "Uh, it's me, Izuku--Itsuka. Prince--I mean--King Bakugou has sent me to check on your well being as he couldn't get away from some royal guests," Itsuka said, still a bit timid because of Izuku's panic attack earlier that day. She really felt guilty about it, even though she still didn't know the reason. "He also informed me that perhaps you should skip out on the ball tonight if you don't feel well."

     Hearing those words, Izuku smiled softly. Of course Katsuki would suggest something as such. "How did I get so lucky?" Izuku whispered to himself as he smiled gratefully. But he shook his head, saying a bit louder so Itsuka could hear through the door. "No, I don't think I'll skip. I feel fine."

     Itsuka breathed out a relieved sigh. She was glad that Izuku was feeling okay. "May I help prepare you for the ball, then, Izuku?"

     Izuku hummed on the other end, and Itsuka took that as a yes. She opened the door widely as she carried a beautiful dress in her hands. Izuku's eyes widened. 

     Itsuka hid behind the ball gown. "I know you said that you prefer men's clothing rather than women's, but I figured--it's just a special occasion and I had this made with permission from... You know what? Never mind. You have a bunch of other beautiful clothing. I'm sure you'll look good in all of them anyways--" Itsuka stuttered, not used to being this nervous. Usually, she would be bolder than this, but something about this morning had her quite shaken up.

     "No, it looks amazing," Izuku stopped her from going as he smiled softly. "Did you really have this made for me?" he asked as he espied the dress. It truly was extravagant, but it was elegant and not over-the-top. 

     It was true that Izuku preferred more masculine-looking clothing, especially since his days in the Jotai Kingdom were filled with tight corsets and heavy dresses. However, it seemed that Itsuka had put a lot of thought into this dress. It was beautiful in a elegant and simple way. 

     It was a deep red color, and it has little golden jewels embroidered into the edges and scattered along the bottom half of the dress. It was similar to what Izuku was already wearing except in a more graceful way--less formal, yet screaming imperious energy.

     Itsuka nodded, eyes filled with pride. "Yes! It thought you would like to wear something different for the ball."

      Izuku smiled brightly, truly grateful for his head maid--though she was more like a friend, a very close friend. "Thank you, Itsu," he breathed out.

     Truly, he wondered. How did I get so lucky?