Chapter-7:

"Love never dies a natural death."-Unknown

Gilgamesh's soul left us, yet his body was still behind. So, we connected his ashes to all life's birthplace; the rivers.

I was standing on the edge, watching Thena sadly scatter his ashes in the river.

Druig slowly walked up to me, making no sound.
I could feel him breathing on the nape of my neck.

"When I left, I thought about taking over the minds of every human on this planet." He whispered. "Violence, fear, greed, all gone."

"Why didn't you?" I asked.
"Because, without their flaws, they wouldn't be human."

I sucked up a deep breath and we walked back into the forest when Thena signalled that she needed her space. I sat down near the base of a tree, closing my eyes.
Druig followed me, silent as ever.

"Look at me." He said.
"No," I whispered back.
"Look at me. Please."

I looked and saw blue eyes, filled with tears.
Not a single intention of hurting me.

"I'm so sorry that I made you think or feel that I'd hurt you, or control your mind. Please forgive me. I'm so, so sorry." He said, tears rolling down his cheeks.
"I missed you so much. And I was so overwhelmed. And you were listening to your music in the shed, and everyone was fighting, and later, I remembered that you told me all those years ago that your biggest fear was losing people you love."

"And you told me that your biggest fear was your reaction to losing people," I said.

He's still there.

"It's not like I never loved Ajak or Gilgamesh like family." He whispered back.
"These Deviants have a conscience," I muttered.
"They're becoming dangerous,"
"No." He looked up at the sky and firmly held my hand.

"That makes them us. Eternals and Deviants. Arishem's children. But everyone is asking me to take control of a mind of a Celestial. I do not have that kind of power."

"That's why we're bringing Phastos." I sent him a small smile.

He pulled me into his arms, my head resting on the nape of his neck.

"I really, really like you, Avalon. Not just as a friend. Could something be there between us, ever?" He asked me.
"I'm scared, Druig. And I'll be honest with you, I don't want to be so intimately connected to someone. I've lost so much. I'm scared you'll leave me again." I murmured into the nape of his neck. 

"One day. One day I'll ask you again, and one day you'll have to say yes." He said.
"I will," I promised.

We watched the sunset, our limbs entangled, our cheeks stained with our tears.

"I'll take you to visit Paris, after this is all over." I told him.
"What do you do there?"
"Well, I make custom canvas designs for people. I have a small apartment, and Sprite mostly lives with me there too. She helps in a café down the street."

"Do you still like to paint?" He asked me.
"Well, I've made a profession out of it, so I guess."
"Tell me more. Tell me all about it." 
"Happily."