Tea Break

Pia has been on autopilot the next couple of weeks since the Senate reorganization.

As the new Senate President Pro Tempore, she gets an all-access pass to all committees, which meant shuttling from hearing to hearing with barely 10 minutes worth of breaks combined. 

On one hand, it kept her busy, which left no time to do much else. On the other hand, it kept her busy, which left her no time to think of much else.

"Pia?", Leni's voice called out while she was en route to another committee hearing.

Pia continued walking. "Not right now, Leni. May hearing pa akong pupuntahan."

Leni quickly caught up with her and blocked her from her path. "Pia, stop muna."

The taller senator scooted over to the side to try to pass, but Leni blocked her path with her leg and gave her that glare. Resigned, Pia threw her hands and followed Leni to her Senate office.

Inside Leni's working office, Pia sat down on the round table with her chin leaning on her hand. The smell of fresh green tea emanated from the entire office as Leni poured two full cups from a floral teapot.

She then walked by the table Pia's sitting on and set down two teacups and a small plate of Chocnut before sitting herself down. "Pia, anong nangyayari?"

Pia shrugged her shoulders "What? Everything's just fine. Nothing wrong with me at all."

Leni stared at her with her intense gaze. "Pia, wala ka sa sarili mo this past week. Either nakatunganga ka pag hearing o hindi ka makausap nang maayos."

"I'm busy, okay?"

"There's busy, then there's this.", Leni insisted. "And don't even think I don't know you've been crying every other session."

Those final words broke the dam holding Pia together and gave her permission to break down in front of Leni. "Leni, I miss her so much."

Leni rubbed Pia's back and let her rest on her shoulder while she sobbed. After around 5 minutes, Pia let Leni go and wiped her tears. "You know, this isn't the first time we didn't work in the same place, but not knowing when she's coming back, that is if she even will, is the thing that kills me, you know."

"Alam mo, minsan iniisip ko sana hindi ko sinagad, eh. I expected her to resign as Pro Tempore, pero wala sa plano ung pagpunta niya ng London."

Pia twirled the pen in her left hand. "Don't blame yourself, Leni, it was bound to happen. She's still reeling in from Lanz cutting her off three years ago, so she was really just in a vulnerable place when you came along."

Leni gasped and clutched her chest. "Hala, parang mas lalo naman akong na-guilty."

For the first time in a couple of weeks, Pia chuckled for a tiny bit. "I'm still amazed how you managed to end her 27-year career less than a year into being elected."

"Syempre, magaling ako, eh.", Leni boasted jokingly.

The two of them raised their teacups before taking a sip of the tea. Right after, Leni continued. "Ano pala ginagawa mo sa buhay ngayon?"

"Well, I'm training for Ironman again. It's been ages since I last joined with the pandemic and Senate work.", Pia answered. "Otherwise, just walking the dogs and rearranging stuff at home again."

"Uy, nakatulong ba ung mga tips ko?", Leni inquired.

Pia nodded her head. "Super. Max is an architect so she's the one doing most of the designing, but we managed to get those labeled organizers sorted for our gym equipment."

The lady senators continued chatting about many things under the sun like Shopee finds, biking tips, and the occasional work anecdote. It kept Pia's mind off of things, even just for a bit.

When Leni stepped out for a time to attend to a work call, Pia brought out a Hobonichi Cousin planner she's been bringing containing various polaroids and writings about her and Loren from various points in time and wrote on the next blank page:

"Regina, my love, 

It's been two weeks since I last spoke to you.

Hope London's treating you well and you found a place you like. I know you told me before you wanted to go back to school the moment you finish your Senate term. Perhaps you've been taking steps towards that now? I don't know.

As for me, two weeks as Pro Tempore and I'm learning the hard way why Migz chose you over me back then. Ang hirap pala, ha? Though at least I have Kiko, Risa, and (ugh) Migz in my corner. Still, I'm kind of pissed na nang-agaw ka pa rin (pero quiet lang, ha?).

Unfortunately, I broke down for the third time this week. This time in Leni's office. Knowing your history with her, I hesitate to bring this up, but fuck it. Nothing some Chocnut and a spot of tea couldn't fix.

Tomorrow, I'll start training for Ironman again. Wish you were here to watch me train or even just text me words of encouragement like you always did, but alas things are what they are.

Whatever you're doing there, I hope you know that I miss you the mostest and think of you every single day.

Your partner in crime,

Pilar"

Pia then spritzed the page with her perfume, let it dry, then closed the journal. "I hope the smell's still there when I give this to her."