Courtesy Call

TRIGGER WARNING: Sexual harassment (on the third part of the chapter -  marked with a "^^^" at the beginning and end of the scene)

Another long day awaits Pia in the Senate today. With only a week to go before session break, everyone's rushing to get committee reports done and as many bills approved before the session adjourns.

The moment Pia arrived in her office, one of her staff members greeted her by the door. "Ma'am Pia, may delivery po ng flowers kanina. Pinalagay namin sa office niyo."

Pia tried to contain the screaming in her head, knowing who that could be from. Because her staff didn't know the real score yet, she mustered as much composure as possible so they don't get any ideas. "Oh, kanino kaya galing?"

The staff member shrugged her shoulders. "Name niyo lang po ung nasa envelope."

"Sige, check ko na lang pagpasok ko ng office."

Pia entered her office and locked the door behind her. On top of her desk lies a beautiful bouquet of pink roses in an old wine bottle. Inserted in between the flowers was a card with "Dearest Pilar" handwritten on the envelope. "Even far away, she never fails..."

She then opened the envelope and read the card inside. "Dearest Pilar, kunwari na lang galing ito sa garden ko, but I guess it's the thought that counts. I hope your cheeks are as pink as these roses the moment you see them. Nagmamahal, Regina"

As if on cue, Pia could feel her cheeks getting warmer and the butterflies in her stomach fluttering about. Unlike her girlfriend's lofty ambitions of saving the world, all Pia wanted to do was to relax and fall in love.

Pia pinched herself to bring herself back to reality. "Totoo bang girlfriend ko na siya?"

Girlfriend: a word that felt so alien yet so right at the same time.

She remembered one time 16 years ago when she said her prayers that day to give her a man. That prayer brought her to Lucas, who's now 16 and is the love of her life. "Maybe I should've taken that as a hint."

Several men came and went into her life. Most of them she was genuinely attracted to (sometimes too much), especially the mayabang types. "Damn, maybe that explains why I'm so attracted to her."

Pia then took a selfie carrying the bouquet and immediately sent it to Loren's messages, although she's most likely still asleep. "Received the sweetest surprise from in my office first thing in the morning. Sweet dreams, my love. See you later."

Send.

***

That evening, Pia stayed a bit later than usual in her office to get a bit of privacy. While she was busy typing another sponsorship speech, a Facetime notification appeared with Loren's face on it.

As soon as that appeared, Pia immediately saved her work and accepted the call. She was then greeted by Loren, now in her pajamas, onscreen. "Good evening, Cocopop."

A faint blush emerged from Pia's cheeks. "Pet name status na ba talaga tayo, dear?"

"Good morning, Mooncake.", Pia greeted back.

The two of them engaged in a two-hour-long conversation about how their day went, as they always did every day. Among the highlights of the conversation were stories from today's Senate session.

"Ay, Regina, alam mo ba na napaiyak ni Leni si Robin kaninang plenary?", Pia said, almost falling out of her seat from laughing so much.

Loren's eyes widened. "No way. Kwento naman, dear."