6 || Reluctance

You were bothered.

Every step, every breath, every blink seemed to be scrutinized under the gaze of a particular Adeptus. Whether you were walking around aimlessly, taking a nap under a tree, or treating a patient you came across, he was standing not far away with his body concealed (though, as a god, you could sense him right away). You concluded that Zhongli told him to watch you in hopes that he would see that you were a reliable doctor, but you were restricted in your usage of powers because of this. You didn't want Xiao to know you were a god just yet.

"I used most of my herbs on the patients today and can't procure herbs using my powers. Now I'm stuck in my mortal vessel walking around picking weeds," you grumbled in your mind, plucking out a mint plant and putting it in the sleeve of your bag. You closed your eyes as you whispered a small "Thank you" to the plant, your large bamboo hat covered your irked expression.

Taking a deep breath, you calmed yourself down and closed your eyes once again, listening to the chirping of birds around you. Every so often, you would hear a prayer for help--a prayer to heal a sickness, ease the pain, even a prayer to stop death. The louder the prayer, the more dire the situation is. You followed the sounds of these prayers to find whoever was in need of help, trying your best to follow the loudest prayers first.

Strolling around the bamboo forest for another hour, you paused your herb collecting at the feeling of something ominous. You raised the rim of your hat and looked up at the greying sky.

"Someone," you heard someone sob. "Someone please save my village, please!"

Alarmed, you quickly darted out of the forest toward the prayer without hesitation, weaving swiftly through the trees. You felt Xiao's presence disappear abruptly and didn't hesitate to transform into your beastly form, allowing you to travel faster. There was no time to question the disappearance of your stalker. The prayer was loud.

Finally arriving at the village that was miles away, you reverted back to your human form and rushed toward the houses bursting into flames. You found the source of prayer and dragged him out of a crumbling home, assessing his physical state and quickly taking out the medical supplies needed. His head was bleeding, and his legs were seared by the burning wood.

"What happened?" you asked, gently applying an antidote and wrapping his head with a cloth. The boy cried uncontrollably, grasping onto your robe for dear life. You held him in a hug as you looked around for other villagers, finding instead the demonic figure of the Yaksha fighting some Fatui in the distance.

"Shhh," you whispered soothingly to the child, realizing what had transpired. "I'm a doctor, little one. Tell me where everyone is so I can help."

When the boy failed to utter any coherent words, you held his head close to your chest and rose from the ground, deciding it would be faster to find the people yourself. One by one, you discovered the villagers beneath the rubble and gathered them a safe distance from the battle, knowing how Xiao hated having people nearby from the fear of hurting them too. You watched in awe as the Adeptus shrouded himself in black and green smoke, striking his opponents with his glowing polearm.

"This isn't the time to watch," you thought, snapping out of your daze. Ripping apart your garb until the sleeves became no more, you used the cloth to bandage the injured. You took out the little herbs you had in stow to grind into powders or soak in water, utilizing the fire coming from the houses to heat the elixirs when needed.

In the back, you heard the cries of the Fatui die down with every plunge.

And then, night broke. 

Laying on your knee was the little boy you had saved earlier from the cruel Fatui plan. Thanks to your quick medical attention and Xiao's triumph in battle, no one in the village passed away. Just now, as the sky darkened, you finished treating the last of the villagers. 

"Thank you. We are forever in your debt," the woman, the child's mother, whispered, not wanting to wake the boy in your lap. She lifted her arm that was put on a makeshift brace, flinching when she realized it hurt more than she thought it would.

"Save your voice and drink some water," you smiled sadly as you lightly pushed down her arm. Looking down at the boy, you gently stroked his hair and closed your eyes, glad you made it in time. 

"You owe me nothing."

You were sure that the Millelith would find the village soon. Although far from Liyue Harbor, the thick smoke from the house fires should have alarmed the soldiers and guide them there. Only until then would you stay with the people.

In the corner of your eye, you noticed Xiao leaning against a tree far from the devastated village. He stared emotionlessly at the dying fire in front of him, his amber eyes saddled with inner turmoil. The mother, too, looked in the direction before averting her attention to her son. She picked him up, straining a smile.

"Doctor, you should treat the Adeptus as well. I can tell you're worried for him," she said, pulling the sleeping boy into her arms. "Please...tell him we are grateful for his help."

You looked at her, stunned, before quickly giving her a warm smile and nodding your head. Did your worries show on your face? Perhaps traveling Teyvat in a human vessel for a millennium wore off on you.

The sound of crackling wood and quiet conversations from the villagers filled the air. Slowly making your way toward the Adeptus, you hummed a little tune and took out a plant from your pouch. He didn't acknowledge your presence despite you standing right beside him. 

"Little Xiao," you murmured. When he continued to ignore you, you shoved the plant into his mouth, finally earning the recognition. His eyes widened and darted to your face, shocked by your actions. 

"What do you think you're do-"

"Chew on it for twenty seconds," you ordered, a cup of water in your hand. "Then spit it out and drink this."

His eyes narrowed with suspicion, but he did as he was told, chewing slowly on the herb and taking the cup from your hands. His cold fingers grazed yours for only a split second before he pulled away.

"How do you feel?" you asked, fumbling around your hip to look for the notebook you stash in your robe. When you realized it was gone, much like most of your tattered garb was, you sighed and leaned your head on the tree. It was fine. You remembered every detail about every patient you've ever had. You only wrote to....

"There is no need to worry about me," you heard Xiao say from beside you. "The Fatui were easy to defeat."

"And your karmic debt?" 

"It is bearable thanks to your treatment." 

Hearing those words, you reopened your eyes and glanced at the Adeptus. His arms were crossed as he stared over the dying fire at the villagers, an unknown feeling etched on his face. You blinked a few more times before you settled; you were surprised that the stubborn boy admitted so calmly that your medicine helped him.

A gentle smile formed on your lips.

"Little Xiao, do you want to go somewhere with me?"