7 || Acceptance

Picking up your straw hat that fell earlier amidst the craze of treating the villagers, you held it in your hands with a sigh. The edges were crumpled and burned, dusted with ashes and dirt.

Xiao stood silently behind you, watching as you fitted the hat on your head. He had an urge to fix it seeing bits of your messed hair sticking out of the charred holes, but he resisted, crossing his arms instead. When you turned around, the two of you made eye contact. You smiled.

"We won't be going someplace far," you said as you stepped away from the village, hearing the Millelith not far away. "It's on the way to Wangshu Inn."

A soft grunt was heard in response, and the rest of the trek was hiked in silence; the ambiance of birds chirping and the trees fluttering were enough for the both of you. Throughout the slow walk, the only pauses were when you picked a herb or admired some flowers.

"You work hard," Xiao commented, waiting for you to finish cutting the root of a plant. For the entirety of the day, he saw you carefully harvest herbs of all different kinds, using them soon after on a patient you came across. You sought no mora and instead requested only some food or water for the rest of your journey. Freely using your knowledge to treat everyone and everything without greed--you were a being he couldn't comprehend.

Raising from your squatting position, satisfied now with the herbs in your hands, you replied, "But of course. I am a doctor, after all."

"...I believe my first impression of you was biased. The notion I held because of your...straight-forward nature... was wrong. You are indeed a doctor worth recognition." His amber eyes flicked to your face, and your raised eyebrows made him question his words. Were you that surprised to hear him say this? He couldn't understand human nature.

As the moonlight shimmered onto your face, you eased your expression into one of acceptance. The Adeptus looked away.

"Getting the approval of an Adeptus such as yourself, what an honor," you laughed softly, continuing your walk to your promised place. "Thank you."

Although you already knew your medical skills were unrivaled as the God of Healing yourself, compliments were always genuinely felt. Hearing the praise from Xiao, one of the toughest--if not the toughest--long-term patient you've had in a while, you were proud.

"You are already recognized by Rex Lapis," Xiao responded impassively. "That is of greater honor."

You responded with a hum as you finally saw a familiar landmark, a large jeweled rock covered in moss after years of sitting in the forest. You were surprised to see it still as a whole, seemingly untouched by humanity, and you gently brushed a hand on the protruding gem.

"This way," you whispered as you quickened your pace, ducking through the fallen trees and stepping into a hidden cave. There were geo crystalflies fluttering around the field of Glaze Lillies, moonlight seeping through the cracks and illuminating the Cor Lapis and Noctilucous Jade stones sitting at the base of the cave. Taking in a deep breath, you fell back into the comforts of grass beds.

Xiao remained standing at the opening of the cavern, entranced by the beauty. He had never seen such a place before, not in his hundreds of years of protecting Liyue. It was hidden in such a way that would be missed by casual onlookers, and the Adeptus doubted that many had ever ventured inside. It felt oddly sacred, and he was hesitant to enter such a place with his blood-tainted self.

"So?" you asked with a content sigh, watching the crystalflies fly off into the distance. "What do you think?"

"It is quite a sight," Xiao conceded, sitting on a rock and looking around the glowing hues of Glaze Lillies in the moonlight.