4 || Second Time

With the new stroke of dawn came a new day of more medicine. After treating a few villagers around Liyue last night, you returned to Wangshu Inn and prepared the herbs needed for today, sleeping in the early morning only to pass time. That was your new daily routine.

Currently, you were standing on the highest balcony, humming as you waited for Xiao with a tube of a teal-colored concoction. When you realized he wasn't going to show simply because you were there, you decided to call for his name.

"Little Xiao," you said out loud. "It's time for your medicine."

There was no response. Sighing, you wondered what to do until you remembered what he said the day before.

"What a stubborn brat," you thought as you chuckled, putting a hand to your hip.

"Adeptus Xiao."

A mist of anemo particles gathered and dissipated in front of you, leaving the figure of the familiar Yaksha. His arms were crossed and he looked at you emotionlessly before glancing at the medicine in your hands.

"Oh," you sounded, noticing his subtle look of disgust, "don't worry. It's not as bitter as last time now that I know your tolerance. Here." You placed it on the table beside you and sat, waiting for the Adeptus to pick it up.

He did, reluctantly drinking the elixir and raising an eyebrow when he realized it was indeed less bitter. Much like the modified Almond Tofu, you had made it so that it was light and easier to swallow, suiting Xiao's taste almost perfectly on the first try. Putting the empty vial on the table, he crossed his arms again.

"As I've already said, mortal medicine doesn't affect the Adepti," Xiao told you.

"Dear Yaksha," you hummed, "do you really think I make regular medicine? Would that catch Rex Lapis' attention?" You had no plan of telling your patient that you were a god, fully enjoying the reactions he had toward your medicine. If he were to know of your stature, being the humble Adeptus he is, he would most definitely show respect despite his reservations. But as a mortal? He let his interesting expressions slip. 

Xiao grunted and turned away, realizing your words were correct; however, that didn't mean he would acknowledge your skills right away.

"We part ways here," he muttered. Without giving you time to retort, he left in a cloud of black and teal once again. For a second, you heard the harsh whisperings of corrupted gods.

"Is that what he has to hear all the time?" you sighed, slumping in your seat. "That's rough...Shouldn't you go comfort him, Morax?"

Appearing from the inside of Wangshu Inn, your friend made his way outside to the deck, sitting next to you. He seemed to watch over the Adeptus a lot, and you concluded that he had too much time on his hands now that he retired from being the Archon of Liyue. 

"That is the karmic debt that latches onto him," Zhongli replied. "Dutifully upholding his contract despite the pain, he battles the miasmas created by the hatred of gods I've sealed beneath Liyue. My comfort will change nothing in his behavior."

"At least give him the medicine in my stead. He avoids me like I'm some sort of plague," you said, clicking your tongue as you nestled your chin on your palm.

"I believe he worries he will taint your body with his karma. He knows you as a human, does he not? Mortals, in particular, are affected heavily by divine hatred."

"So he's looking out for me?"

Zhongli closed his eyes as he felt a breeze coming from Dihua Marsh. You took his silence for confirmation and sighed again, leaning your head back to look at the sky as you tilted your chair back and forth.