12 || Blurred Lines

Once he stood up, Xiao held out a hand, offering you to hold in. You weren't sure why Xiao was suddenly alright with physical touch outside of your morning appointments, but so be it. You were mentally drained and could use some affection.

You took his hand, and he gently pulled you closer, holding your waist with his other hand. Before you could ask what he was doing, you felt the odd presence of anemo energy around you, and in a flash, the scenery changed to the inside of your room in Wangshu Inn. The black and green smog dissipated quickly, but Xiao's hand lingered on your waist for a bit longer. Then it slipped away as he stepped back.

"It's been a while since I've teleported," you thought out loud, referring to the times prior to the incident with Celestia. "How convenient."

Crossing his arms, Xiao mumbled, "More convenient than walking in this room. Have you no sense of cleaning?"

You simply laughed tiredly as you took off your robe and draped it over the bed frame. You were wearing a tight, black shirt that came up to your neck, and it was tucked into your baggy pants. Xiao could easily see the outlines of your body because of it, prompting another faint blush to crawl up his ears, but he did his best to keep his expression neutral. His eyes traced the curve of your spine as you stood in front of the desk, examining the herbs. He opted to stay away and averted his attention to the messy pile of equipment on your floor.

"Here," you tell him, turning around and handing him a flower. "A token of my appreciation."

The Yaksha glanced at you then at the flower, one eyebrow raised. It was a beautiful carnation with petals that seemed to glow, the inside translucent and the outer tips a faint blue. Xiao had never seen a flower like this before.

"Is this another herb I should chew?" Xiao asked hesitantly, used to your habit of explaining the herbs you give him but unsure if such an exquisite flower should be used in such ways. His heart swelled when he saw a gentle smile grace your lips.

Closing your eyes as you made your way to the bed, you mumbled, "No. It's simply a pretty flower." You slid into the covers and sighed, cherishing the softness of the pillow.

Xiao's gaze relaxed. He quietly walked over to the edge of the bed and sat down, his fingers twirling the flower you gave him. Could he even preserve this for long? He wasn't one to take care of others, let alone a flower as delicate as this, and it most likely needed special care, as it definitely wasn't a flower from Liyue.

As if you read his mind, you commented, "It's from Snezhnaya, the land of desolate snow. You wouldn't think such a pretty thing could come from the wicked source of the Fatui, huh?"

The bed creaked as you shifted in it, turning to face him. The moonlight fluttering through the curtains of your window illuminated the tattoos on Xiao's arm, and you found yourself tracing them with your finger. The Adeptus remained still, his eyes flickering from you to his hands in his lap.

"I have no place to put this," he muttered reluctantly. Never in his life has he kept a flower alive simply because of its beauty, and thus he had no equipment to do such. Furthermore, his room at Wangshu Inn was desolate from so few visits. Could he keep a flower caged there?

"I'm sure Verr Goddet has a few extra vases. You don't need to worry about water and soil because of my magic...it will never die unless I die." 

"I see."

Silence ensued, and you saw the world around you darken as your eyelashes drooped, unable to stay up any longer. Your hand that caressed his tattoos fell back onto the bed, and your legs curled into a comfortable position. Nuzzling your head into the pillow, you managed to utter one last thing:

"Goodnight, little Xiao. Sweet dreams."

"...Goodnight?" the Yaksha thought, his lips straightening into a frown. "Sweet dreams?"

He listened to the steadiness of your breath slow into an even pace, indicating your entrance into a dreaming state. How could you fall asleep so easily in the presence of another, as if you had no doubts of your safety? It baffled him.

But, it also put him at ease.

You trusted him enough to sleep in his presence.

Slowly getting off the bed, he made his way to the window to take his leave. He knew that if he stayed any longer, he would be entranced by the whisps of a dream shimmering around you, pulling him into another night of sleep. He couldn't afford that, not when he hasn't done his patrol yet after already delaying it that afternoon. So, he silently climbed out the window, only turning back momentarily to make sure that he didn't wake you, his amber eyes glistening tenderly.

"Sleep well."

He slipped away into the moonlight.

⊱ ────── {⋆❀⋆} ────── ⊰

A few days have passed. You fell back to your peaceful, daily routine of treating Xiao in the morning and treating others for the remainder of the day. It seemed like the trust the Yaksha had in you was mended, and you were glad that nothing changed--well, nothing negative, at least.

"Good morning," you greeted, making your way toward the Adeptus. He was waiting for you on the balcony--contrary to how you would have to call for him in mornings prior--as he faced the scenery outside. His clothes fluttered in the breeze, the light purples and greens rippling in the air.

He responded with a curt nod, turning around as he reached out his hand for yours and taking the medicine in your hold. You sauntered closer to him and reached your free hand up to his forehead, pausing only momentarily to let him know that you were taking his temperature. When you compared his temperature to yours, you mumbled the results to yourself.

His body was doing much better compared to your first meeting. You were confident that he no longer needed the medicine daily and could fare without your help for years to come. Now, it was only a matter of time before observing a post-meditation period and leaving.

"Leaving," you pondered wistfully. "I suppose I have grown too comfortable here..."

"Where will you be heading today?" asked Xiao, pulling you out of your thoughts. He raised his arm for you to hold, ready for the morning range-of-motion exercises, and you began moving it in different directions.

"Will you be taking me there again?" you mused. 

The uptight Adeptus had been transporting you to your destinations under the pretext that he was heading there anyways for his purging of demons. At first, he was hesitant to ask; he refused to look into your eyes and offered in a voice barely above a grumble, so bashful was he. But lately, he would lift his hand, asking for yours, and take you to wherever without a second thought.

Crossing his arms once the stretches were finished, Xiao nodded and remarked, "It is more convenient for the both of us. There is no use in idleness. Let us depart." 

He held out his hand, his head tilted ever so slightly in a way that said, "So, where are we going?"

You couldn't help but chuckle as you placed your hand in his.

"Then, please take me to Qingce Village. It's very far, so your help is appreciated."

His coarse fingers wrapped around yours, and he nodded his head again. The mist of anemo energy wrapped around you, following the smell of almond and herbal medicine. The absence of harsh whisperings from the corrupted gods only served as more proof of your successful treatment. As you and Xiao disappeared from the highest deck of Wangshu Inn together, a sense of relief washed over you.

You were able to give Xiao some repose.