Ch 2. Silence

When I got on my school bus, everything seemed off. No one was yelling, no one was making fun of eachother. Everyone was on their phones. I sat down in my usual spot in the back of the bus, and put on headphones that I always kept in my backpack. For once, I was actually able to hear my music.
When the bus stopped at the next stop, more kids came on. They were even looking at their phones! This is not right.
I got up out of my seat and sat next to the person one row in front of me.
“Hey,” the kid asked. “What are you doing?”
“Everything seems so weird. What is going on?” I asked while putting my backpack on the ground.
The kid looked back at their phone for a second, then looked at me again. “You haven't heard?”
I shook my head. “No.”
The kid showed me their phone.
A video was playing.
In big, red letters at the top of the screen, it said, ‘VIRUS REACHED ILLINOIS!’
My eyes widened. This couldn't be happening.
I read the screen again, hoping it would say something different. But it didn't.
The kid returned to looking at their phone.
I couldn't believe it.
I opened the news app on my phone and tuned into the live broadcast.
“We encourage everyone to stay inside and limit contact with others,” The news lady said.
I shook my head in disbelief. No no no no no.
“Early symptoms of the virus are still unknown. Most people who get it, don't show anything until they start going crazy. But after they do, it is too late,” she continued.
I looked around the bus frantically. Everyone was still looking at their phones. What if someone on this bus had the virus?
“This virus has one interesting and unique aspect to it. No one has actually died from it yet. Instead, it looks as if the person is dead, but their heart is still beating. Hospitals are currently filling up with people who have the virus. So please, be careful out there,” she said.
Then, the broadcast ended.
I looked up from my phone. Everyone else did the same.
But no one started talking.
Everyone stayed silent the rest of the way to school.
When the bus arrived at school, everyone got off very quickly. No one wanted to be on there a second longer than they had to.
When I got off and walked inside, everyone was silent. Everyone standing in the halls, everyone in the commons, everyone was silent.
When the bell rang to signal that it was almost class time, everyone walked to their classes in silence. You could hear everyone's footsteps walking down the halls.
Stomp.
Stomp.
Stomp.
When I walked into my first class, no one was in the classroom. Not even the teacher. So odd.
I sat down at my desk and got out my math textbook.
What was happening?