Ch 10. Bruises

I walked up to my room and put the little girl on my bed. What was I going to do with her?
The little girl looked around my room with her big eyes and pointed to my closet.
“What’s up? Do you want to see my closet?” I asked. 
She started grunting and continued to point at my closet door.
I walked over to it and opened up the closet door.
The little girl started screaming, and threw my blankets over her head.
“Hey, what’s wrong?” I asked while walking over to her.
She started to cry.
I grabbed the little ball of blankets she was in and hugged her tight.
“It’s ok. I am really sorry I made you cry.” I said
I looked over at my closet. There wasn't anything scary in there. Why is she so upset?
I got up and closed the closet door.
“Ok, I closed the door. You can come out now.” I said as I walked over to her.
I sat back down on my bed and hugged her blanket ball again.
She peeked her little head out and looked back at the closet door.
I felt her breathing slow down as she looked at the closed door.
I put her on my lap and ran my fingers through her long brown hair. So this is how it feels to take care of a child.
I looked over at the clock on my nightstand.
It was almost 9pm. 
I looked down at the little girl. Her eyes were starting to droop. I needed to find her a place to sleep.
I looked around my room, hoping I could find something for her to sleep on. But I couldn't find anything. I couldn't even think of anything in the closet for her to sleep on.
I guess she would sleep with me.
I lifted her off of my lap and back onto the bed. I needed to find her something to change into. There was no way I was going back to her house while it still smelled like something rotting outside.
I walked over to my dresser and pulled out the softest shirt I had. Sure, it will be big, but it should work. 
I brought the shirt over to the little girl.
“Do you want to sleep in this tonight?” I asked.
She looked at the shirt and took it from my hands.
I guess so. 
I picked her up off of my bed and put her on the ground.
“Ok, let's take off your dress. Arms up!” I said.
She lifted her arms up and I slipped the dress off of her.
Bruises.
Her body was covered in bruises.
My eyes widened. 
I looked over all of the bruises. None of them looked the same. And they were all over.
I pulled the shirt over her head and stuck her arms through the arm holes. Even though the shirt was long, the short sleeves on the shirt didn't cover up the bruises that went up and down her arms.
The little girl stood up and walked over to my bed. The shirt was like a dress on her. It went all the way down to her ankles.
I laid her down on my bed and pulled the covers up to her chin.
I kissed the top of her forehead and laid down next to her.
“Everything will be ok. I promise.”