Side story

[Sorry little spirits! I've been quite busy as I'm approaching the end of my school year (*_ _)人 So please enjoy this short story I had to write for my English class <3]

[You can choose to think of this as an extra story for this book I suppose (〃▽〃)]

•___________________________________•

A killing game. In which the game mafia comes to real life. It all seems like some silly fantasy, however, as I stand here with a phone in my hand and a room with six other players I realize that this is very much not a lucid dream.

Suddenly, a voice with an aloof attitude surrounds us. "Welcome dear players to the game of Mafia!" Immediately madness surges through our minds. I am sieged by shouts and cries as others are paralyzed in the face of our predicament. "The rules are listed on your screens, please enjoy yourselves." Once again, the voice calls out. Forced to conformity we look at our devices, only to be aghast with the demands asked of us.

•You will all receive a card with a specific picture stating your role. The queen of hearts for doctor, ace of hearts for detective, four of clovers for civilians, and finally the joker for the mafia.

•The roles are as such. The doctor is able to treat a player as long as they input the player's name into their device. However, they cannot save a person who has already died.

•The detective is able to slowly discover the mafia's identity with clues hidden throughout the manor.
A civilian's only job is to survive. As long as one of these three roles survive and eliminate the mafia the victory will go to them.

•The mafia must kill every player periodically to earn their victory. They may use any method at their disposal.

•The winning party shall receive a reward of one million dollar per every survivor, and will be given several benefits as well as their families.

Resignedly everyone pulls out a card from their pocket, one that has seemed to come from thin air. Cautiously I look at my role, sighing in relief as I check the symbol. As I observe my surroundings several people peek at the other's roles only to see a blank card. Unease ripples through the crowd, everyone suspecting each other. Not one person looked another in the eyes. Rather than a dream this is most definitely a nightmare. "The game will start momentarily"

With contempt in our eyes and indiginance on our lips we turn to our phones.
Bright red letters taunt us with only a single, bleak phrase. "Good luck"

It's already been an excruciating hour, all players had split up into pairs to search for supplies. I had expected absolute silence, but I was instead greeted with unceasing conversation. My partner, who's name I've discovered is Rosa, is endlessly droning on and on about herself. As we continued down the hall I sigh wistfully longing for my life to return to normal. My thoughts are interrupted by a shriek. "What happened, are you alright?!" I lurch around the corner only imagining what could've happened to her. "I've found water!" She beams, almost radiating pure sunlight. I groan as she jumps in excitement. "Let's tell the others what we've found." Pulling out my phone I open a chat reserved for all players. "Huh, it seems like someone already found this place?" Rosa tilts her head in confusion as she reads the recent messages. It should've been impossible for someone else to have found this place, yet two others reported it first. "We should wait here for the other players to arrive. Maybe we can get some answers then." Cautiously sitting down, we both have a rare moment of silence.

Unfortunately it was cut short as we heard approaching footsteps. Ruefully I stand up and offer my hand to Rosa. "This is the water source I've found!" A girl with hair as blue as the sky gestures widely towards the open fountain. "Move aside!" Suddenly a tall, lanky man shoves the crowd apart and plants himself in front of the fountain. "What's the big idea! If we all want to survive we have to share." The blue haired girl rebukes, glaring at the roguish man. "Hah! If there's one thing I know, it's that it's everyone for themselves here!" Turning on his heel he scoops up the clear water with his hands, the liquid dripping down from his hands as he confidently sneers. "I'm not going to be the first one to die here!" He swiftly drinks the water in victory, selfishly keeping the rest of us away. Until abruptly his hand flies to his mouth as he only manages to choke out a watery gargle. He vomited blood as he keeled over, struggling to breathe as his choked out screams were muffled. There was silence for a moment, a second of bliss before chaos reigned.

There were screams and sobs as everyone watched in horror. The girl that had led us all here backed up, terror was evident on her face as heads turned towards her. "What did you do to my partner!" A boy yells, pushing her to the floor. "I-I didn't do anything, you have to believe me!" She cries out and looks around the room, trying to find someone to help her. She was met with only hard glares and a pair of cold eyes observing her every move. A crisp ding reverberated through the room, cutting through the tension like a knife. In crimson letters the word execution was shown as the girl's face was displayed. "Wait, please!" She pleads, tears streaming down her face as she begs the others. As if on cue a loud bang cuts her off, we could only look in disgust as only blood, flesh, and tears were left.

The screen changed, now showing the queen of hearts. As if the device was proving that we've made the wrong decision it joyfully exclaims. "The doctor has been revealed!" However, only sounds of disapproval arose. "Tsk, she should have been more convincing" Rosa and I froze in horror as the rest of the players left in dissatisfaction, hoping that this nightmare would end soon. Taking one last look at the gruesome scene we quickly exit and follow suit.

The next thing I know, the remaining two players are brawling on the ground. A young boy with a knife in their hand and an older girl skillfully eluding the swift strikes. Everything had broken down into shambles the second the first person had died. Shielding Rosa from the clash I watch as they both receive heavy blows. Ultimately, the child brings the blade down and puts an end to her misery. Hands shaking he processes what he had just done, and in a moment of insanity he ends his own life.

"You can open your eyes now, it's over." Rosa then takes a few steps towards the fallen bodies, shivering as she stares at the limp bodies. Her fingernails dig into her palm so fiercely that it draws blood as both their roles are revealed. Gripping the blade she turns to me. I could only manage a raspy whisper as she charged at me. It's only us left, leaving me with one choice. I sprint down the hall, what was only mere seconds seemed to be hours. Finally reaching the room we had begun the game in, I turned to face the entrance. Rosa's ragged form casts a long shadow on the floor. "Aren't we friends?" In a desperate attempt to achieve the impossible ending of this game.

Unchanging, she dashes forward. The glint of a knife mocking me. Rosa unceasingly attacks, unknowing that she wasn't the only one who had taken a knife from the kitchen. With a single stab the game was over, I couldn't stop myself from smiling in joy. I could taste salt and iron on my tongue, but nothing mattered now. In my victory the screen changes for the last time. Once again in words as bright and bold as the blood on my hands, I could only laugh as the nightmare came to its final end.

The mafia has won.

•___________________________________•

A.N

[I feel like poison would be a lovely fit for you! It doesn't require direct physical confrontation, so I might highlight this method later on in this book
ヽ(゚〇゚)ノ]

Please enjoy the rest of your day little spirits~