Chapter 8: The War In The West

Martsa <<Katipunan>> (<<Alerta Katipunan!>>)

Credits to: La Banda Militare: Italian and International Military Music

______________________________________

On the borders between Elystad and Salazar, it can be seen on the horizon of Barbel City was a city of tents and encampments of the Salazarian troops. Receiving the message of the declaration of war, the commander in charge, Commander Amogus, ordered his men to build stakes and other types necessary to delay the advance of the Salazar 1st Subjugation Army with 100,000 strong men, this was the largest ever recorded enemy invasion with such force.

Salazar Dynasty specifically sent their best conditioned and veteran men, as they can't rely on their malnourished slave soldiers which make up 60% of their military. A total of 600,000 men were sent to invade Elystad and Leerstrom, while an additional 150,000 mixture of slave soldiers and veteran men were sent to invade the island nation of the Philippines with the assistance of the Dynasty's 3rd Fleet which consists of 8,000 ships, either galleon and troop transport.

The borders of Elystad and Salazar Dynasty are separated by a series of small mountains which are difficult to traverse, however, there are three key paths that the local people and merchants is using for traveling, the first one is where the fortress city of Algers stood, it is situated between the two mountains, therefore the invading army needs to capture the city to safely passage their troops.

The next one is in Solitare city, it is also situated near the two mountains, however not in a tight position as the city is surrounded by thick forests which are infested by monsters, the path in Solitare is also the largest and the safest, as the geography next to the city are steppes and grassland only, the city itself is a major strategic location, perfect to act as a FOB for the Salazar Military.

The last one is in the far northeast of Elystad, the city of Ereth, just beside the sea, the city is also perfect for logistics efforts since its pathways are connected to the three other major cities, and also east to traverse with least monster threat.

Unfortunately for the people of Barbel City, the city itself is outside the mountains and directly facing the territory of Salazar, the report that a declaration of war by the Salazar Dynasty came too late, thus resulting in a disarray of civilians, although Commander Amogus and his men can just abandon the city since it doesn't hold any strategic significance except for some food supply and some wealth, however, the citizens aren't evacuated yet, people started to evacuate by morning, which isn't enough for them to reach the fortress city.

Now, a line of refugee evacuating was formed, and Commander Amogus with his 20,000 men need to hold as long as they can, or else the innocent civilians will be without a doubt persecuted by the Salazarian who are known to be human supremacist which despises other races.

Soldiers gathered on the cobble walls of the city, behind them were archers prepared with their arrows, there are also some local mages to help and adventurers for the war effort, although they only number 800 in total, they were a massive help for Commander Amogus, especially the mages.

There were some traps along the path to score some kills, such as a hidden hole with spikes, and other traps; Commander Amogus asked his Vice Commander, "Is there any news from Algers regarding our request?"

His vice commander shook his head, "It seems they can't spare any soldiers, however, they were willing to help the refugees and defend them halfway if they ever make it there."