Really Bad

TW// Mentions of Self-harm, anxiety, abuse, toxic siblings

Billy stood in the living room, lifting his weights like they proved his worth. A knock on the door interrupted him, making him curse whoever was at the door.

"Max, get up and answer the door!" He shouted at his younger step-sister, even though he was closer to the door.

Maxine rushed to the door before Billy could irritate her further. Though once she opened it, she wished she hadn't. "Lukas?"

Lukas grabbed Max by her arm and pulled her out. She got the hint and shut the door. "Shh, are you trying to get me killed?!"

"Yeah, totally." Max rolled her eyes. "What do you want?"

"To see you? I'm not allowed to see my girlfriend?" Lukas had more on his mind, but didn't want to drive her back inside.

"Well, here I am." Max spun around. "I'll see you tomorrow at school." Max grabbed the door handle.

"Max, wait!" Lukas put his arms around Max in attempt to keep her outside.

Max immediately panicked and elbowed Lukas so hard that he had to let go. "Keep your hands to yourself!"

"Ow!" Lukas stepped back and surrendered. "I'm sorry! I just wanted to ask if you're doing okay. You haven't been hanging around much. Jane keeps talking about how you keep texting her in the middle of the night. Then during the day you just don't talk much to anyone..."

Max swallowed her emotions and came up with a lie. "Oh yeah, I'm having a hard time sleeping at night because of the neighbours. During the day I'm practically a zombie." Maxine tried to laugh but Lukas didn't join her.

"Is something stopping you from sleeping? You can talk to me." Lukas was almost pleading with her. He wanted to be there for her. Their relationship had always been back and fourth. So much so that he sometimes wondered if he was right for still pursuing her. One day Max liked him, the next she was acting like his existence was inconvenient.

"Just been behind on studying and stuff too... I have to go, Billy is going to catch us." Max put her hand on the door handle again.

"Okay...well promise you'll hang out after school tomorrow?" Lukas asked.

"Yeah, if I have time." Max said before heading back inside.

Billy was still lifting weights, a dead look in his eyes. "Max, who was that?"

"Oh, those Mormons again. They keep showing up." Max lied and started walking back to her room.

Billy dropped his weights and followed her. "Really? Because I would of sworn I heard Sinclair's voice."

"You're paranoid." Max tensed up as Billy followed her right to her room. She immediately grabbed her skateboard, knowing what was going to happen now that Billy was paranoid.

Billy ripped the skateboard from her hands pretty easily. "Max, what happens when you lie to me?!"

Max reached for her board. "No, I finally got a new one!"

"Maybe you should of thought about that. BEFORE YOU LIED." Billy took the skateboard and smacked it hard against the door frame. He managed to crack it on the first try, but it didn't fully break. "Well would you look at that, better quality."

"GIVE IT BACK!" Max knew better than to snatch it back from Billy, but she tried. "It's all I have to enjoy!"

Billy paused and threw the skateboard. "All you have to enjoy? You're right. No more little boyfriend Max. If I catch him around here again, I will fucking shoot him. Do you understand?" Billy had a crazy look in his eyes now, he got it from his father.