Sleepover

TW// Mentions of self harm and mature conversations.

lumaxsletter

That night became a living nightmare for Max. Jane had told Joyce that Max was hurt, and Lukas had told her Max cut herself. It was safe to say, there was no escape from the consequences.

Max was sitting in the corner of Jane's room, sobbing. Joyce was pacing the halls, on the phone. Jane was down in the living room feeling overly confused, and Lukas was doing his best.

"Max, it's okay. Just let us help you." Lukas whispered to her. He knew she was uncomfortable and ashamed, but regardless she needed help.

"Fuck you, I hate you!" Max screamed at him. Now that Joyce knew, there was a good chance she would end up in a hospital. Somewhere she really didn't want to be.

Lukas was shocked by her words, they honestly hurt in the moment. "Max...you're not okay, you need help. I know you want to act like you're fine, and you're tough, but you're not. You're losing it, you're suffering."

Lukas kneeled down and opened his arms towards her. "I love you, and I want you to be okay."

Max gave in and crawled into Lukas' arms. "I don't want to go to the hospital..." She sniffled.

"I think you should, it could really help..." Lukas rubbed her back gently. "I don't want you to hurt yourself Max. Is there anything I can do to help you stop?"

Max shook her head and curled against his chest. "I can't even stop it...it feels like the devil possesses me. I just can't stop...I feed off my pain, it makes me feel better, in the moment." Max explained through tears.

Lukas kissed the top of her head gently. "That's awful...you really need to see a doctor. I could go with you."

Joyce walked into the room, looking down at the two teenagers with a painful expression. "Lukas honey, me and Hopper are going to take her to the hospital when he gets home."

Max tightened her grip around Lukas and protested with a scream.

Lukas rubbed her back, listening to her pain. "I don't think that's the best idea...I think she just needs to be surrounded by people who care about her."

Joyce hesitantly nodded. "O-okay? Are you sure she doesn't need to go to the hospital?"

"Trust me, I know Max...she knows herself. The hospital isn't the best option, at least right now..." Lukas felt Max slightly relax in his arms. "I'm going to call Mike and Dustin to come here, is that okay?"

Joyce sighed and shrugged. "I guess, if that's what you think will help her. You know her better than I do..." She trusted Lukas, he seemed to be mature when it came to Max. He had a lot more common sense than most young boyfriends had.

-

Dustin got to the house first, knocking frantically. When Joyce let him in, he ran straight to Jane and Max's room. "I'm here, I came as fast as I could! I brought chocolate, and a brownie!"

Lukas was pacing around the room, while Max laid anxiously on the bed. "What's chocolate and a brownie going to do?"

"Cheer her up? Duh?" Dustin set the treats down on the nightstand and softened his expression. "Hey Max, how're you feeling? I'm sorry to hear you're going through a rough time."

Max shrugged and turned away from him. "I'll get over it..."

"Right..." Dustin looked at Lukas, trying to communicate with his facial expression.