I Love You Too Much

TW//Mentions of sexual assault

Monday morning came too fast. Lukas had no choice but to go to school. His mom wasn't the type to let him skip without a good reason. He could of filled her in, but didn't want to spread Max's business. It was a small town anyway. His mom would naturally find out.

He sat in his Spanish class with a fake smile, trying not to bring any attention to himself. It was hard when he kept glancing at Max's empty seat.

-

Lunch rolled around and he took a seat with his friends. Things seemed more gloomy than usual. Dustin was eating quietly while Jane and Mike were sitting in complete silence.

"Uh hey, where's Will?" Lukas asked causally while sitting down with his lunch.

"Joyce came to get him, he wasn't feeling good." Jane replied.

"That sucks..." Lukas didn't like how dead everyone looked. "Did something happen? You guys look soulless."

Dustin put down his sandwich and looked at Mike. "Do we tell him?"

"Tell me what?" Lukas chewed his bottom lip anxiously.

"We have to tell him now." Mike groaned and looked at Jane. "El, Maybe you should go take a walk." He knew Jane was particularly upset.

"I'll take a walk, and kill someone." Jane muttered before standing and marching herself out of the cafeteria.

"What the hell happened?" Lukas couldn't help but guess that this was about Max, and he was right.

Dustin decided to take over the confession. "Well when we were walking here, we overheard something pretty bad." He frowned, looking at Mike to continue for him.

"Yeah, real bad." Mike agreed. "There was a group of girls talking about Max...not sure how it spread like that but...people are finding out. Sounds like they are making up their own rumors too."

Lukas' jaw hit the ground in horror. "Shit! What are they saying, what rumors?"

"Well they are calling her...pretty fucked up names. I'm not repeating them." Dustin threw up his arms like he was surrendering. "They're saying she wanted it and that she's pregnant..."

"Did you say anything in her defense?!" Lukas stood up, ready to throw hands with whoever said those things.

"Duh, of course!" Dustin shouted. "But the rumors are out there now."

Lukas rubbed his face and picked up his lunch, throwing it away. "There goes my appetite. That's fucked up."

"I know...how's Max now?" Mike asked Lukas, assuming he'd know something.

"She's in hell right now. After school I'm going to go see her, see if I can convince her to stay with Jane and her family. Her mom isn't even supporting her, she was in the hospital-" Lukas paused, realizing he wasn't supposed to say that much.

"Hospital?" Dustin widened his eyes. "Something else happened?"

Lukas shook his head. "I can't tell you...it's a personal thing."

Dustin eyed Mike. "Dude, is she pregnant?"

"No!" Lukas slammed his hand down on the table to really get his point across. "It's...I just can't tell you, because it's her business. All I can say is, she's not doing okay."

Jane came back and sat down. "Are you done talking about the bitches?"

"Yeah...just, who was it?" Lukas wanted the names of the people messing with Maxine.