New Friendships

"Hey kiddos, are you hungry?" Steve asked while approaching Lukas and Max.

"A little bit." Max admitted while watching Lukas take his turn with the game. "aren't you supposed to be owning up to multiple years of being an asshole?"

Steve shrugged and leaned back on the wall, crossing his arms. "Didn't get the chance. Robin metaphorically pounced on Barbara before I could blink. I'm pretty sure the two of them are playing pacman now, talking about thrift stores and vintage clothing."

Max snickered and checked her phone.

"Is someone texting you?" Steve asked protectively.

"Just my mom...I told her I'm with you." Max replied to her mom's text.

"And how does she feel about that?" Steve raised an eyebrow.

"She told me she loves me, that's all. I should of known she wouldn't care. My mom feels better when I'm not home. She knows it's not safe for me there." Max shoved her phone away. "Are we getting food?"

"Yeah, in a minute." Steve looked over Lukas' shoulder. "Man, you really suck at that. Did Robin give you tips?"

Lukas rolled his eyes and stepped away from the game as he was defeated again. "I just can't focus, I'm usually good."

"Worried about your girlfriend?" Steve wondered and placed his hands on Max's shoulders.

Max brushed his hands away and groaned. "Don't."

"Of course I'm worried." Lukas grabbed Max's hands. "You don't deserve this. I wish I could make things better."

Max looked away and blushed. "Lukas, don't do this in public."

Steve chuckled and pat Lukas on the back. "You're a good kid, the both of you. If your parents don't mind, you can sleepover at my apartment. You'll have to sleep on the floor next to the couch though."

"Thanks, do you mind if I stay the night?" Lukas asked Max.

Max shrugged. "I don't care, it's not my apartment."

"Just making sure you're comfortable with me sleeping over tonight." Lukas pulled her in and kissed her forehead.

Max squirmed in his embrace. Turning more red. "LUKAS! NOT HERE!"

Lukas let her go and went to apologize, but realized she was actually smiling. "I love you.

"I love you too, ass." Max leaned against him and elbowed him in the side.

"Ow!" Lukas wrapped an arm around her. "I think she's getting hangry."

"Well, we better feed her." Steve smiled and looked towards the pacman game. "Shit- code red."

"What's wrong?" Lukas frowned.

"We lost the lesbian. I repeat, we lost the lesbian." Steve couldn't see Robin anywhere.

"Not just one, two." Max added.

"Two? You don't know Barb Holland like that." Steve argued.

"Trust me Steve, I'm right. She went to Robin first, right? Instead of talking to you, whom she has lots to discuss with? Gays attract gays." Max said in a serious tone, but she was mostly messing around.

"Oh my god..." Steve grabbed the kids and searched the arcade. "Did they leave?"

"There's a bathroom in the back, maybe that's where they are." Lukas suggested logically.

"Good idea..." Steve calmed down and walked to the bathroom.

"It's a single person bathroom so they'd have to be in there together. Alone, locked door." Max teased.