Back To School

TW//$lut shaming and homophobia

Three days had went by for Max, living with the Byers. Her mom and brother obviously knew she was missing. Susan texted once, but gave up. Billy was texting her so much, he got blocked. Billy wasn't texting from a place of love, he was just upset because Max was living his dream of running away from a toxic parent.

Joyce walked up to the room where the girls were sleeping. She used her usual technique of opening the curtains to wake both girls up at once.

Jane woke up first, but Max woke a couple seconds later. They were both light sleepers typically.

"Good morning girls, Jane it's time to get ready for school." Joyce instructed Jane to get ready, then gave Max a soft smile. "You think you can go back today too?"

Max shrugged timidly. Joyce's nurturing nature did help Max feel a lot better. Yet she was still very much suffering with her emotions. Not to mention the brutal bullying she would definitely face from kids suffering themselves.

"Well I won't force you." Joyce promised. "But I would really like if you tried really soon, okay? I love having you around, but I want you to try getting back to normal as soon as possible. The more you let yourself hide, the more the trauma affects you." Joyce was wise, having gone through similar things to Max when she was a young girl.

Max sighed and rubbed her eyes, trying to fully wake up and feel alive. "Maybe I could try..."

"Awesome! I work from home so if you have an emergency and need to come home, you can call." Joyce said excitedly and walked out of the room. "You two get ready. I need to try to get Will up again." Joyce commented before closing the door.

Jane smiled at Max and stretched her arms, coming alive from her sleep as well. "Morning Max, are you really coming with me today?"

Max moved her hair out of her face and threw her legs over the side of the bed. "Well like Joyce said...I can't just hide. It's worth a try I guess."

"You'll do good." Jane assured Max before getting out of bed and going to her closet. "Let's put lots of effort in today."

"Why?" Max yawned and stood up.

"You love fashion and cute outfits, right? It will make you feel better." Jane went through her closet and picked out one of her more favorable outfits. "Should I wear this?"

Max walked over and assessed the articles of clothing. "Damn, you'll look so cute in that. Definitely wear that...now you're inspiring me to look cute today... I don't know if I packed anything exciting."

Jane walked to the other side of the room and placed her outfit choice down on the bed. "Wear my things if you want to."

Max took Jane up on the offer and looked through her closet. She paired Jane's top with her bottoms, and found an outfit that would help her feel confident on this difficult day.

Outfit references because we love a good visual.

Jane: